Unusual post-war liner - no evidence of a nape strap

ClaptonIsGod

Just picked up this odd post-war liner because it is unlike anything I have ever seen before. Hoping you guys can help me make sense of it. It is marked US 6 M11 and has no eyelet, so I am guessing it is a late 1950s or early 1960s manufacture. The webbing is WWII, with a postwar sweatband, but I cannot read the date on it from the photos. Has chinstrap studs, but no evidence there was ever a nape strap. No holes punched, nothing. Looks like it was originally green, then painted blue at some point. So, what does it mean?

BmteMHa.jpg

HKtbFv9.jpg

WEeWeRa.jpg

Looks French, maybe Belgian. The Odd HBT Pattern Webbing is the give away.

I'd have to disagree, liner is marked with a typical US manufacture stamp and the sweatband is also US marked, and has been there for a long time

Iab8zgH.jpg

luf7QlN.jpg

Also looks like this may be how it left the factory because the rivers and A-washers look original, and the rivers are showing green paint under the blue paint. I have no clue what to make of it other than its a complete anomaly.

Hi

I have a similar liner also without any buckles or rivet holes for the nape strap. The webbing material is also unusual, it has a Firestone marking on the inside of the liner. Checkout my post on the 7th January 2019 with the title “Confused by this M1 Liner”.

Normally liners like this were determined defective at the manufacturer. They were then webbed with available materials and sold as toys, work bump helmets or to VFW to use in parades. They use plastic, compressed paper, various fabric webbing and the like to make a quick suspension. I have seen several examples that do not put in neck support webbing as it is not needed when the liner is not intended to be worn with a steel helmet.

Burning Hazard

Normally liners like this were determined defective at the manufacturer. They were then webbed with available materials and sold as toys, work bump helmets or to VFW to use in parades. They use plastic, compressed paper, various fabric webbing and the like to make a quick suspension. I have seen several examples that do not put in neck support webbing as it is not needed when the liner is not intended to be worn with a steel helmet.

+1

I've seen factory rejected "child toy" M1 liners used by the VFW, painted white and full decals. The lining was always creative; seen bandoleer straps to glued foam pads.

I believe the blue painted were used by county sheriffs, there's a thread on them here somewhere.

Pat

Certainly seems like a likely explanation and would make sense, maybe they had a roll of leftover WWII cloth. I have an MSA which was also a defect, it's literally just the shell, no paint, no holes drilled, etc. so it'll have a friend now. Only question is what the defect was, I suppose. Always thought they only repurposed defects on any kind of scale during the war, so I wonder how many more of this era are out there.

probably used in Air Force basic trainning

Thought the same and it appears to have been used with a helmet at some point due to the wear and marks left on the rivit heads and above the rim.