Iwo Jima Poster?

This just poped up in an Iwo Jima search. I'm wondering what others think about this flag raising war bond poster. Do y'all think it's real?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-WWII-POSTER-1945-U-S-MARINES-AT-IWO-JIMA-C-C-BELL/254080216382?hash=item3b285c6d3e:g:0e8AAOSwvfpcQfdg

I have this in a copy, but replacing it with an original would be a bonus.

Thank you for your insight.

tdog

Wanted: Missouri Medals

I am always in search of Missouri Medals and Items. This could be anything from WW1, WW2, Prisoners of War, Ephemera, or anything pertaining to Missourians.

I thank you for your time and consideration.

-Without a witness, they just disappear.-

donation2020.gif

Looks pretty good to me, based on how several I have owned appear compared to this.

Have you Google searched 7th War Bond posters and compared the markings you can see on the originals and repros which are posted on many websites, to those on this one for sale?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

No I haven't. I don't have much experience with posters. So what you're saying is there are difference in say the copyright writing on the bottom? Any insight you can give is welcome. I'm always happy to learn something new.

Looks pretty good to me, based on how several I have owned appear compared to this.

Have you Google searched 7th War Bond posters and compared the markings you can see on the originals and repros which are posted on many websites, to those on this one for sale?

I am always in search of Missouri Medals and Items. This could be anything from WW1, WW2, Prisoners of War, Ephemera, or anything pertaining to Missourians.

donation2020.gif

No I haven't. I don't have much experience with posters. So what you're saying is there are difference in say the copyright writing on the bottom? Any insight you can give is welcome. I'm always happy to learn something new.

Best advice I can give is to Google search it yourself with the keywords 7th War Bond and look at the images of the posters you find and compare what you see on them to what is seen on the poster on eBay and then judge for yourself I guess.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

I did do a quick google comparison.

The one I have which is a print from the National WW2 museum has "official treasury poster....U.S. Marines at Iwo Jima by C.C. Beall from associated press photo"

This one and the one in the ushmm collection has the "gov. printing office: 1945-o-637980.

This gov. printing tag is not on my copy poster.

donation2020.gif

The one posted here is like originals.I have one as well.

Im no expert on posters but two things I have noticed on originals are the date and they are folded.As I have been told all posters in WW2 were shipped folded in an envelope.I knew a person whos father had a bank during the war.He recalled the posters that hung at the bank and had most all of them in his possession.

Granted there is a seller from Asia selling posters now on ebay with folds.Another from here in the states sell posters too but they are rolled when shipped and lack the govt printing info on the bottom.Plus there is a huge difference in the color and printing styles

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

It's fine with a few condition issues. US Gov't printed posters (WW2) were indeed machine folded for shipping. Privately-printed posters, for the most part, weren't machine folded.

Looking for: Fourth/ Seventh Rhode Island Infantry items

Purple Heart : Robert L. Freitag KIA ETO 2/11/45

Any US/German items with the last name "Freitag"

also, war-related posters

donation2013.gif

It's fine with a few condition issues. US Gov't printed posters (WW2) were indeed machine folded for shipping. Privately-printed posters, for the most part, weren't machine folded.

what about the printing on the bottom? I've long heard that the Govt ones were folded...

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

What condition issues do you see? Aside from the fold at the bottom that goes through the Marines, which appears to be more prominent than the other creases (this could also just be lighting), I'm curious what issues you see.

donation2020.gif

Corners, and, (too me) looks a little faded

Looking for: Fourth/ Seventh Rhode Island Infantry items

Purple Heart : Robert L. Freitag KIA ETO 2/11/45

Any US/German items with the last name "Freitag"

also, war-related posters

donation2013.gif

Sorry if I'm a little off topic. But isn't that the same 7th War Loan poster in the miniseries "Pacific" being shown to Bradley, Hayes and Gagnon for their war bond tour?

Always looking for 4th Fighter Group and 490th Bomb Group items.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2020.gif

Sorry if I'm a little off topic. But isn't that the same 7th War Loan poster in the miniseries "Pacific" being shown to Bradley, Hayes and Gagnon for their war bond tour?

I believe you're thinking of Flags of our Fathers.

donation2020.gif

I believe you're thinking of Flags of our Fathers.

You are right and I stand corrected. I guess I had Basilone's bond tour in mind when I mentioned Pacific.

P.S. Great poster!

Paul

Always looking for 4th Fighter Group and 490th Bomb Group items.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2020.gif

Corners, and, (too me) looks a little faded

From my eye, the corners seem to look okay, just appear distorted by the glasses holding it down?

donation2020.gif

I managed to contact the seller and got a lot of questions answered. Posters are such a fickle thing cause they're so fragile and are meant as a work of art.

I'm curious if the community thinks it's worth something going after, or if one can do "better"?

The only other one I've seen and considered was the one Baystate had a few months back.

donation2020.gif

I managed to contact the seller and got a lot of questions answered. Posters are such a fickle thing cause they're so fragile and are meant as a work of art.

I'm curious if the community thinks it's worth something going after, or if one can do "better"?

The only other one I've seen and considered was the one Baystate had a few months back.

If its a real poster and it fits YOUR collecting desires, and its a price you can live with paying..then you should go for it. If you are looking for a long term investment in a poster...well...my advice is to collect the object for your desire, not just as an investment, my two cents.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif