29th Division Capt. Overcoats; SSM, BSM, PHx2

36thIDAlex

Hello everybody,

It was going pretty slow until an estate auction opened up this weekend for a 29th Infantry Division Captain who is credited for Normandy and who I believe was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and two Purple Hearts.

The vet was Capt. William B. Kenney from Paris, KY. The grouping was very substantial including field gear, field jackets, overcoats, insignia, and bringbacks (including a German gravity knife) but as a stereotypical broke college student I could only bid so high. I can post the rest of the grouping if people would like to see it but for now I’ll just include the items I got.

Captain Kenney was with the 29th from Normandy all the way to the end of the war. I was not able to locate any precise information on his service so if anyone has some good 29th rosters or materials please do share. I did find one reference in the book “Our Tortured Souls” mentioning his transfer from HQ Co. to Captain of Co. B, 115th IR and actions in a failed attack against a heavy German defensive position. I also found a Louisville newspaper mentioning a wound on Sept 27, 1944 and a promotion during the same month.

The items I won were a 1942 dated M26 private purchase Officer overcoat from Smith-Gray in NY. This one is in very nice shape with a really great lining in it and 29th patch placed inversely.

The other was a standard issue wool overcoat with outlines of where a 29th patch used to be on the left shoulder. I’m currently debating replacing the patch and using it for a Bulge mannequin display.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Name

Posted Image

It also included this interesting under-vest

Posted Image

Wonderful items.

I was able to obtain some of his German bring backs from this estate sale through a buddy who was there.

I would love to see some of the other items from the sale.

Thanks for posting.

Andy

Here’s the rest of the stuff, it was a lot and quickly got out of my price range lol

Posted Image

Check out the top right custom ruptured duck

Posted Image

Posted Image

One of the m43 had service stripes which I found interesting

Posted Image

Posted Image

Binoculars are 43’ Nash Kelvinator

Posted Image

Brown holster was a Crump 42’

Posted Image

Posted Image