USMC Ontario OKC3s 1st Fielded Prototype Bayonet 1 of 500

bobcat87

Another addition for fans of the USMC/OKC line of bayonets!

Here we have the USMC Martial Arts Center of Excellence (MACE) contracted, turquoise blue color bladed OKC3T Training Bayonet, delivered to MACE in the fall of 2005, alongside the Training and Education Command (TECOM) training bayonets put into production in December 2005.  

There are notable color variances between the two OKC3T trainers; the rarely seen MACE contracted first version USMC model OKC3T training bayonet (approx. 70 made/contracted) having a turquoise blue or powder blue colored blade (if you look closely you will can see grey marbling swirls on the MACE) and the common production OKC3T version sporting a richer-solid-blue colored blade. 

If you zoom into the Homer Brett letter, on the second page he references how the color variance occurred, Mr. Brett states:

“How did this color change occur? Well, apparently someone at MARCORSYCOM who was handling the contract, and was familiar with the traditional blue color used in military training equipment and arms decided that the blue color of the original MACE purchased bayonets was too greenish in color and not blue enough. The change was then submitted verbally, and no one was the wiser until the new contract bayonets were actually delivered to their respective units.”

Mr. Brett ends his historical letter by stating:

"Marching in kind, the Marine Corps contract training bayonet, contracted out of MARCORSYSCOM is a richer blue; in keeping with the sky blue color used on other types of U.S. training equipment. On the other hand, the MACE bayonets, the very first of their kind, will remain distinct, unique, and easily identified by their special turquoise-like color. Now you know the rest of the story."

The color variance is not as readily apparent in my photos, so I added a pic I got from Frank Trzaska (blue background) that really conveys the color difference between the MACE version and the production version OKC3T’s. That is the exact same MACE trainer in my photos but a different production trainer.

Blue Trainer a.jpg

Blue Trainer b.jpg

Blue Trainer c.jpg

Blue Trainer d.jpg

Blue Trainer e.jpg

Blue Trainer f.jpg

IMG_0276[26637].jpg

• 2 months later...

Here’s a real treat that I think fans of Ontario Knife Company (OKC) prototype bayonets from the 2002 USMC bayonet trials will appreciate; probably the rarest of all the OKC bayonets made for the 2002 USMC trials is this OKC Compact/Ergonomic M9 bayonet with the Ka-Bar style blade. Not a lot of detailed photos or references are to be found on this variant and I was totally caught off guard when it was made available to me by John Gibson.  This bayonet has been featured in Maddox – Collecting Bayonets, p. 336; in Frank Trzaska’s Knife Knotes (http://usmilitaryknives.com/knife_knotes_7.htm), and on the late Bill Porter’s US Military Knives and Bayonets social media.

This USMC 2002 trials M9 bayonet has the familiar OKC/USMC prototype plastic ergonomic handle with USMC badging seen on several other OKC prototypes, to include USMC markings within the countersunk ovals, five grooves, raised cross-hatching and a nighttime indicator bump just behind the crossguard muzzle ring. This bayonet does not have a permanently peened pommel and disassembly is standard M9 style.

Although OKC made other USMC prototype blade profiles reminiscent of Ka-Bar style blades with the fuller/blood groove, this particular prototype has a blade with a mostly straight top spine, reinforced point instead of a clip point and of course encompasses the fuller groove which gives it that familiar Ka-Bar look. There is no hole in the blade for the cutter plate lug since the USMC did not desire wire cutter/multi tool functionality. The blade is also hefty and noticeably thick in comparison to other OKC/USMC trials bayonets.

The coyote brown scabbard is very slim to reduce overall weight of the bayonet system. The photos convey a swirl pattern within the plastic that may look like scratches but it is very smooth. Military historian, Homer Brett, has referred to these scabbard bodies as reduced mass scabbards. The entire suspension system is black in color to include the buckle assembly. Notable on this scabbard is the absence of the cutter plate; somewhat crude but OKC literally cut off this section of the scabbard and rounded over the edges. This scabbard body is the predecessor to the OKC M10 scabbard body that OKC was trying to get the Army to adopt as the next generation lightweight version of the M9 bayonet; of course the Army being stubborn to change stuck with the legacy M9 design.

kabar M9 a.jpg

kabar M9 b.jpg

kabar M9 c.jpg

kabar M9 d.jpg

kabar M9 e.jpg

kabar m9 f.jpg

kabar M9 g.jpg

kabar M9 h.jpg

kabar M9 i.jpg

kabar M9 j.jpg

kabar M9 k.jpg

kabar M9 l.jpg

kabar M9 m.jpg

kabar M9 n.jpg

kabar M9 o.jpg

kabar M9 p.jpg

kabar M9 q.jpg

kabar M9 r.jpg

• 4 months later...

It's been a while since I looked through this thread and after browsing again it I didn't see any photos of an Ontario Knife Company (OKC) OKC 6FT USMC trials pre-adoption prototype bayonet; I was sure I posted my OKC 6FT Ultra Carbon (UC). Anyway, here it is (again?) so, I apologize for any redundancy shows up.

Nevertheless, there are two variants of the OKC 6FT, the Ultra Carbon (UC) variant which has the appearance of an matte oxide or parkerized finish on the blade and the Diamond Steel (DS) variant which is has a smoother-shinier black powder coat paint appearance. The variant type is also denoted on the front of the crossguard by either a 'UC' or 'DC' stamping. In Homer Brett's historical letter he references the OKC 6FT as the "Kabar bladed bayonet one-piece blade-tang design." 

At first glance the OKC 6FT looks very familiar to the ultra rare OKC/USMC Compact/Ergonomic M9 prototype bayonet posted previously because both bayonets have that 'KABAR look." However, notable differences include the grip design; plus, the grip of the OKC 6FT is permanently attached as opposed to the OKC/USMC Compact/Ergonomic M9 prototype that has a grip that disassembles just like a production M9 bayonet. The blade differs as well, with the fuller's being shaped differently and the fuller of the OKC 6FT having prominent horizontal milling striations within the fuller. Another notable difference is the profile shape; the top spine of the OKC/USMC M9 Compact/Ergonomic being almost straight along the whole length of the blade having a profile shape like the WWII Cattaraugus 225Q. The OKC/USMC M9 Compact/Ergonomic also has a very thick blade (see previous post photo) when compared to all the OKC USMC prototypes, which are noticeably thinner, to include the OKC 6FT.

IMG_7488[19208].jpg

IMG_7489[19210].jpg

IMG_7490[19212].jpg

IMG_7491[19214].jpg

IMG_7492[19224].jpg

IMG_7494[19226].JPG

IMG_7495[19228].jpg

IMG_7496[19230].jpg

IMG_7497[19236].JPG

IMG_7498[19238].JPG

HB OKC 6FT UC a.jpg

HB OKC 6FT UC b.jpg

I see some a small pool of surplus/decommissioned Ontario Knife Company USMC 1st Fielded Prototypes bayonets up for sale on eBay now (as of 11/22/2021) for $85.00 ... eight remaining. Search for 'bayonet Ontario Knife Co.' I don't think the seller realizes what he has; considering how scarce these bayonets are, $85.00 is a great deal for an intact decommissioned 1st Fielded Prototype; usually, going for several hundred more. I just ordered one, so I'll follow up when I have it in hand if it's a decent example. 

Only 500 of these prototypes were fielded to the USMC back in the early 2000's, so after all these decades, if you find one of these bayonets it's expected to have a lot of wear and tear. Also, after being scarce for so long a small stream of 1st Fielded Prototypes have fortunately been trickling into the auction market over the past year. I think the USMC finally had to retired these old Devil-Dogs because their lifespan is exhausted. If I had to guess, based on the condition of many of the decommissioned 1st Fielded Prototypes I've seen, I would say there aren't many surviving examples left in existence; far less than 500, and the ones that have survived are severely battle hardened. 

5 hours ago, Casca174 said:

I see some a small pool of surplus/decommissioned Ontario Knife Company USMC 1st Fielded Prototypes bayonets up for sale on eBay now (as of 11/22/2021) for $85.00 ... eight remaining. Search for 'bayonet Ontario Knife Co.' I don't think the seller realizes what he has; considering how scarce these bayonets are, $85.00 is a great deal for an intact decommissioned 1st Fielded Prototype; usually, going for several hundred more. I just ordered one, so I'll follow up when I have it in hand if it's a decent example. 

Only 500 of these prototypes were fielded to the USMC back in the early 2000's, so after all these decades, if you find one of these bayonets it's expected to have a lot of wear and tear. Also, after being scarce for so long a small stream of 1st Fielded Prototypes have fortunately been trickling into the auction market over the past year. I think the USMC finally had to retired these old Devil-Dogs because their lifespan is exhausted. If I had to guess, based on the condition of many of the decommissioned 1st Fielded Prototypes I've seen, I would say there aren't many surviving examples left in existence; far less than 500, and the ones that have survived are severely battle hardened. 

Good eye. I scooted over there, but somebody must have wised him up. The sale ad was closed by the seller due to "incorrect information". It showed 2 sold, 8 remaining at the time it was closed, so I expect he will be relisting them at a far higher price soon. Not that I blame him, he was leaving a lot of money on the table.

• 4 weeks later...

Gents ... Mocityman just informed me there are OKC/USMC First Fielded Prototypes being offered on Gunbroker and he suspects it's the same guy that cancelled my eBay sale once he figured out what he had because Mocityman recognized the screen names the guy was using on both eBay and Gunbroker. Quite the mark up from what the guy posted on eBay but it's still an opportunity to own one of the issued prototypes; the number of surviving First Fielded Prototypes that were in circulation with the USMC has to be very low after all these decades Regardless, I just looked them up; try searching for 'USMC Ontario 1st Fielded Prototype only 500 made. Very rare Bayonet' on Gunbroker ... the starting bid is $275 and a Buy Now of $400. 

bobcat87 ... Here's a nice Christmas surprise I just got directly from Ontario Knife Company (OKC) recently; after almost a year's wait, here's some before and after photos of some of the fullered USMC bayonet trials prototype test blade blanks. Ontario Knife Company did an awesome job repairing these two old Devil Dogs at my request. Moreover, repairing is probably the wrong phraseology but rather 'building' these blades into what they were meant to be ... functional bayonets. I'm not sure what their exact history entailed but the OKC 6FT blade looks like it was subjected to some extensive testing and the rare Version 1 looked virtually perfect with rub marks only. Both blade were unsharpened and OKC was kind enough to put a factory edge on both bayonets. 

The ultra rare OKC/USMC M9 bayonet trials prototype Franks Trzaska describes as a 'Version 1' on Bill Porter's FB post. It is only the second prototype of this USMC bayonet trials version I have ever seen. After all these decades, I was taking a shot in asking if OKC could repair/rebuild it with original parts. The construction of the Version 1 M9 bayonet is reminiscent of a production M9 bayonet, with a removable crossguard, tang rod, grip, and pommel. What is notable about this bayonet is how heavy it is; the blade is cut from very thick stock. OKC fitted the original M9 crossguard to the thicker blade and reassembled the blade using original parts/prototype grip. I might have the only two surviving versions of this prototype in existence. The other prototype I have belonged to Bill Porter and was featured in Maddox - Collecting Bayonets. 

The other fullered OKC USMC trials pre-adoption prototype is an OKC/USMC OKC 6FT Diamond Steel (DS) test blade. OKC DS blades have distinctive appearance because of the black powercoat finish. Military Historian, Homer Brett, refers to this pre-adoption prototype as the 'Kabar Bladed Bayonet, one-piece blade-tang design.' Although these two bayonets look familiar at first glance, the OKC 6FT DS has full tang construction with a permanently peened pommel. The blade is much thinner stock and if you look closely at the fuller, the OKC 6FT fuller's have visible horizontal milling lines within the fuller and are more rectangular in shape; the Version 1 fuller is rounder and smooth (no visible milling marks). OKC fitted a production OKC 3S crossguard (same profile as the original OKC 6FT prototype but it doesn't have the DS stamped on the face of the crossguard) and installed the proper prototype grip with a peened pommel. 

Fuller prototypes a.jpg

Fuller prototypes b.jpg

Fuller prototypes c.jpg

Fuller prototypes d.jpg

BP FB post.png

USMC Test Blade Blanks.png

IMG_7442[19043].jpg

IMG_7443[19045].jpg

IMG_7438[19029].jpg

IMG_7437[19027].jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Folks,

I too was able to acquire an Ontario Marine 1st Fielded prototype bayonet from ebay.   The seller noneck56 got 800 Ontario bayonets among which are a few 1st fielded prototypes.  It took a lot of patience to get the guy to find one for me, but he finally did. 

Once I got it, I wondered if the Ontario bayonet had the same M9 take down system as the Buck USMC M9.  So I took it apart the best I could. 

It is quite different.  First of all the allen hex nut is a slightly different size.  Usually the M9s take a 3/16" allen wrench. This one a bit smaller. 

I use the term hex nut, but it seems that it's more like a hex bolt.  Turning the allen actually turns the whole bolt that threads onto the short blade tang. 

Once the bolt is off the blade, the bolt does not come out of the handle as one would expect.  And, the latch plate can spin like a wheel on the bolt, but does not come off.

I can only suspect that the bolt is milled in the same shape as the regular M9 bolt, but in this case the hole in the top part of the handle is too small to pull the bolt through. 

Therefore, the only way to continue the take down is to somehow remove the latch plate and pull the bolt out the other end.  I'm baffled.

Cool bayonet though.

Marv

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

Well, egg on my face.  I'm no longer baffled.  I did the unthinkable. I grabbed a pliers and held the shaft and was able to remove the screw.  Obviously the screw was rusty and too tight to remove separately without a little help.

Bottom line, it's a conventional M9 configuration.

Marv

IMG_0289.JPG

That’s almost a 20 year old bayonet that’s been in circulation Marv; looks like a decent example for its age. Considering the rarity of 1st fielded prototypes, give that Devil Dog a good cleaning/lube while it’s disassembled and put on a display shelf. Hopefully, no tell-tale signs from the pliers … lol. 
-Drew

Casca174,

Help me understand the timeline.  The Marine Corps contracted with Buck for the 5000 USMC M9s.  That's 1991.  They weren't satisfied.  In 2001, they made the fateful contract with Eickhorn  for the USMC Bayonet 2000.  That went south.  Then the open trials took place.  That's my understanding of the history so far. 

Now, did the Marine Corps settle on the Ontario M9 sans wire cutter, (First fielded prototype) and contract for 500 to start, and then reject that one too, finally settling on the OKC3S? 

Thanks for your insight.

Marv

Marv,

You caught me while I have service and a break on the PCT trail. Anyway, I’m a little rusty on the background since this hasn’t been in my radar lately. “pwcosol” may have more specifics.

From what I recall I believe the USMC didn’t want a multi purpose tool, they wanted a no frills lightweight bayonet that could be used as a fighting knife w/full tang construction believing the segmented tang of the M9 was a weak point; plus the M9 was considered too heavy.

(BTW … OKC wanted the Army to ween off the M9 and developed Army variants of the 1st Fielded Proto. and OKC3S as well but the Army was too stubborn to change; OKC even made a refined-lightweight version of the M9 born from the USMC trials called the OKC-10 and the Army still didn’t budge).

The USMC sole-sourced the Eickhorn since these bayonets were virtually an off the shelf item from Eickhorn and Eickhorn was able to deliver the quantity the USMC was looking for in a timely manner w/globe and anchor on the ricasso; making this a distinctive bayonet specifically for the USMC. Although, Eickhorn made a wire cutter variant (WC) for consideration the USMC didn’t adopt it. Needless to say, since the USMC procured the Eickhorn without going through the proper regulatory process with multiple vendors competing for the contract this created a buzz between all the other potential US based vendors and they cried foul (I believe the USMC Eickhorn was German parts but constructed in the US). Nevertheless, the Eickhorn contract was cancelled due to all the vendor bustle so bayonet trials ensued in the early 2000’s to choose a new bayonet for the USMC. If memory serves me right only 50 USMC Eickhorn Bayonet 2000’s we’re made so their enlistment in the USMC was short-lived. If you come across one, pick it up asap (USMC globe/anchor; “Bayonet 2000” over “Made in USA”).

The 1st Fielded Prototype, which looks remarkably like the OKC3S at first glance but has a build-construction just like an M9, wasn’t rejected but was rather an interim bayonet to provide to the USMC to satisfy initial fielding requests and test out the Spec 3 blade profile (the profile chosen for the OKC3S) while Ontario Knife Company re-tooled in preparation to deliver the USMC the OKC3S full production bayonet. Don’t be mis-led … The 1st Fielded Prototype is a full fledged fielded USMC bayonet put into circulation with the US Marine Corps. 

You’ll see 1st Fielded Prototypes that served almost 20 years in the USMC. It’s only been the past few years where they are being decommissioned and thrown into the surplus pool. Remember, only 500 were fielded; finding a good one is a rarity. Most are battle-worn with multiple rack numbers on the sheaths, broken tips, torn webbing, missing/broken sharpening rods, etc. Most people don’t know what they are looking at when they see these beat up bayonets; thinking they are worn out OKC3S bayonets. Out of 500, how many do you think survived after all this time? Probably not many! Most of these that find their way to auction sites are very worn out and battle hardened. 

I’m lucky to have found two virtually mint 1st Fielded Prototypes but I didn’t post pics because ‘bobcat87’ posted an excellent example he procured from Frank Trzaska. I also have one OKC factory applied woodland camouflaged pattern 1st Fielded Prototype that wasn’t adopted by the USMC (previously resided in the late Bill Porter’s collection; I posted pics on this thread); and I picked up a very nice 1st Fielded Prototype that saw USMC service that was posted on eBay a long while ago. It’s nicely worn; it’s been in USMC circulation but has no real damage with a nicely stenciled matching rack number on the sheath and blade (no sharpie or engraver). I posted pics of that bayonet on this thread as well.

Hopefully, this answered your questions.

Apologies for being verbose! 

Marv, I just checked my photos; I was mistaken about the nicely stenciled 1st Fielded Prototype… it was a nicely stenciled OKC3S I was recalling; however, the 1st Fielded Prototype I have that saw circulation was the one in the photo engraved “L74” … it’s very comparable in condition to the one you got but I think it looks awesome! 

Thanks for all that!  So, in a nutshell, the Marine Corp. list of contracted bayonets are:

1. The Buck USMC M9 (5000)

2. The Bayonet 2000 (50)  contracted but never issued

3. The !st Fielded Marine Prototype M9 (500)   (procured primarily to test the blade configuration, not because they were still considering the M9 style itself.)

4. The OKC3S

All the other Ontario submissions were either from the original trials, or submitted as proposals and not tested. 

Would this be an accurate chronology?

Thanks,

Marv

Marv,

The Buck Knives M9 made for the USMC had a distinctive “Buck+“ 1991 date code on the ricasso as well as being marked “M9-USMC”There are other nuances it had (such as stainless steel pommel screw, Buck specific cutter plate w/blade stop, no Buck designation on scabbard, no Phrobis designation on guard or scabbard, stainless steel rivets on suspension clip, most have a divit on the false edge from the Buck factory test cut or obviously from fielded use, etc) that differentiates it from regular M-9 bayonets. I see ‘not quite correct’ USMC Buck+ M9’s being sold for quite a lot of $$$ on auction sites. 
BTW, the USMC armorers did modify some of the Buck+ bayonet sheaths with LanCay style suspension systems (without the backstrap) and removed the cross-strap that snaps across the crossguard. I believe this was addressed by Homer Brett in one of his official historical letters. I have seen this modification on some ebay 1991 USMC Buck’s.

Regarding the Eickhorn Bayonet 2000, I can’t say whether or not if it was ever issued or fielded. 

The Ontario 1st Fielded Prototype was definitely issued in a batch of 500 to the USMC. The Spec 3 blade profile was the winning design chosen out of the USMC trials and this bayonet is at it’s core an M9 with the Spec 3 blade profile w/out the full tang; an interim design fielded prior to the Ontario OKC3S going into full production. If I remember right, the raised cross-hatched pattern on the plastic grip of the 1st Fielded Prototype was identified as being too abrasive after being tested/fielded, especially with wet hands so the full production OKC3S adopted a softer grip design with no cross-hatched pattern. 

The Ontario OKC3S is the full production USMC bayonet with the Spec 3 blade profile; however, the tang design was not modular; it had a full one piece tang design and the pommel was permanently peened in place. 

Of course many prototypes and test examples were made and tested by the USMC (i.e. 1993 USMC Bucks, several submissions from OKC, LanCay, Mission Knives, etc. in the early 2000 USMC bayonet trials; however, I believe the bayonets you mentioned are the most prominent ones that have been officially adopted by the USMC in recent history. 

-Drew

Thanks for confirming the timeline.

Not to change the topic, but in answer to your comment, "Regarding the Eickhorn Bayonet 2000, I can’t say whether or not if it was ever issued or fielded.", I save some emails that I had with Bill Porter.  According to Bill, the original 50 or so, were never even assembled for a couple of years after the cancellation of the contract.  So....no.  They were never issued.  Eickhorn presented a slightly beefier version of the B2000 to the trials phase of testing.  They sent three wire cutter bayonets, and three of the beefier regular Bayonet 2000s, which of course, were not selected.   All six of those ended up in Bills collection.  

Marv

I guess I'll have to brag a little bit, so here's my USMC Bayonet 2000, I bought from Frank Trxaska.  Notice....NO SCABBARD MARKS!

IMG_0025.JPG

On 3/29/2022 at 6:50 PM, Casca174 said:

BTW, the USMC armorers did modify some of the Buck+ bayonet sheaths with LanCay style suspension systems (without the backstrap) and removed the cross-strap that snaps across the crossguard. I believe this was addressed by Homer Brett in one of his official historical letters. I have seen this modification on some ebay 1991 USMC Buck’s.

Back when the Buck USMC M9's were first surplussed, about 15 or so years ago, I bought a lot of 20 from a surplus dealer at a gun show in SC. The vast majority of them had the LanCay style webbing. The few that retained the original Buck webbing were very worn, with fraying and fading. Those Buck+ USMC bayonets were very heavily used by the Marines, which is why excellent condition examples are few and far between. I sold all I bought on ebay back in the mid 2000's. 

A couple of them retained the Buck sharpening stone. I disagree with the theory that the USMC contract M9's were supplied without the stones. Most of the ones missing the stones had traces of the adhesive in the stone slots.

Below is a picture of the typical Lan-Cay webbing modifications. Most of the bayonets I had purchased looked very similar to this one.

DSCF4102.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Marv … Congratulations; very nice example! Bill Porter had some great stuff!

Slufstuff … Thanks for the info! I’ve got a mint example of an USMC Buck+ but I eventually would like to track down a USMC Buck+ that’s been in circulation, not too battle worn, and has the webbing mod changes.

I'm probably way behind everybody else in noticing this, but did you know that along with the longer blade than the M9, it also has a longer handle? I tried to fit my 1st fielded on my Mossberg 590 and it will not fit.  The handle is too long and the grip is too fat to snug up close enough to the magazine tube. 

After measuring, the regular M9 handle is 4 7/8" long and the 1st Fielded is 5 5'32" long.  Appropriately enough, it is the same length as the OKC 3S...go figure.   The M16A2 is a Rubber Ducky.

Marv

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

• 1 year later...
Punch the Clown

Folks, I don't recall who was asking for a picture of the scabbard webbing from the second run. I believe this bayonet is from that batch. The retaining strap around the scabbard throat goes the opposite direction from just about every other one I've seen. I've enclosed a description by Homer Brett regarding the scabbard.

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

scabbardletter.jpg