Anybody got a clue about this? ID Rhino Ferry Engine

Dogsbody

Hi all, I'm not shure if this is the correct place to post this question so mods feel free to (re)move this post.

So now to the actual question. Is there anybody who knows what the item in this photograph, that looks like a very big upside down outboard engine, actually is?

post-169612-0-47839200-1547502059_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Hi all, I'm not shure if this is the correct place to post this question so mods feel free to (re)move this post.

So now to the actual question. Is there anybody who knows what the item in this photograph, that looks like a very big upside down outboard engine, actually is?

attachicon.gifbattle_normandy106.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, well thank you for adding this image, not one I have actually seen before, yes I do know what it is and please send a $100 dollars in a plain brown envelope to my address and I will tell you.

its one of the two motors used on Rhino landing barges, the propeller shaft can be raised out of shallow waters. I know someone that has a recovered piece off one of these and I will try and get a photo of the piece in the next few days and post it here.

lewis.

.post-344-0-14476100-1547504335_thumb.jpeg

Salvage Sailor

You beat me to it Lewis.....

Excellent photo of a Rhino ferry engine. It's not upside down, but swung up on it's gear to the storage/service position.

Rhino Ferry Engine.jpg

General Apathy

You beat me to it Lewis.....

Excellent photo of a Rhino ferry engine. It's not upside down, but swung up on it's gear to the storage/service position.

Hi Salvage, I only lay claim to knowing what it is as an observer, you will however have possibly operated one of these.

The damaged top deck of one of these Rhino barges appears now and again in the shifting sands on Utah beach, so its quite possible that the motor or part of one could be seen on the beach. I know for definite that someone local has the chain drive housing from one, that can be seen on the side of the motor. The photo attached below looks similar to and might be one of the gear casings for one of these motors, it appeared in the sands after a storm several years ago.

lewis.

.post-344-0-38531100-1547506493.jpg

Ken and Salvage Sailor thanks so much for your answers. It's always nice to learn something new.

(Ken, I seem to have run out of brown envelopes and in this digital time frame they are hard to come by. So it may take quite some time before that $ 100 dolar bill will reach you ^_^)

Rene

General Apathy

Is there much of anything invasion related that has not washed up on that beach?

Mikie

Hi Mikie, still searching the beach for a crated Jeep . . . . . . . . . .

lewis.

General Apathy

Is there much of anything invasion related that has not washed up on that beach?

Mikie

Hi Mikie, a friend in the village walked his dog along Utah beach yesterday and spotted this M1 helmet clip glinting in the sand.

lewis.

.post-344-0-09378900-1548344393_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

attachicon.gifbattle_normandy106.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, I finally got a shot of the piece that a Dutch friend picked up on the beach, I will post it in the post following this one, it is the oblong shape on the left hand side of the engine in this enlargement, inside this compartment is a drive chain.

lewis

.post-344-0-36961200-1548344973.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Rene, I finally got a shot of the piece that a Dutch friend picked up on the beach, it is the oblong shape on the left hand side of the engine behind the wooden beam in this enlargement, inside this compartment is a drive chain.

lewis

.post-344-0-21807300-1548345087.jpeg