Mexican War Veteran's Shield and Navy Good Conduct Badge Pair

Mustang.CDR

This is unique pair. National Association of Veterans Shield and Navy Good Conduct Badge named to Joseph Knight. Knight was born in England about 1823. He came to the U.S. and enlisted in the 1st Mass Infantry on February, 4th 1847. He enlisted in the Navy in 1852 and was discharged from the USS Hartford in 1879. I can not find any of his other Navy service. If anyone can fill in the time between 1852 and 1879 I would be grateful.

post-125168-0-10706100-1547491713.jpg

post-125168-0-48354100-1547491719.jpg

post-125168-0-62682000-1547491725_thumb.jpg

Here was the description given at that time on WorthPoint.

This is being offered due to retirement and the slimming down of this collection. I have decided to consign for sale the following:A VERY scarce original pair of medals named to Joseph Knight. The first is his National Association of Veterans Mexican War shield, bronze, approximately 2 1/8" x 2 1/4" (53x58mm). The top is a bronze pinback suspension bar and original ribbon. The ribbon is worn and frail. The shield is engraved on the reverse "Joseph Knight, Mass. Inf.". The second medal is his original U.S. Navy Nickel Cross Good Conduct badge. It measures approximately 1 1/4" (31mm) point to point and is engraved on the reverse "Jos. Knight". The red white and blue ribbon is a period ribbon that measures 5/8" across. I am not sure if it is original to the badge. The Nickel Cross was the first U.S. Navy Good Conduct award, authorized in 1869 and issued until approximately 1884. Joseph Knight was an interesting character. He was born in England about 1823. He came to the U.S. and enlisted in the 1st Mass Infantry on February 4, 1847. While serving in the Mexican War he claimed that he and his brother "planted the flag on the summit of.....***.....mountain on July 4, 1847". We can not discern the name from the records. He enlisted in the Navy in 1852 and was discharged from the U.S.S. Hartford in 1879 having served through the Civil War as a 1st class fireman and machinist. He died August 31, 1886 at provenance, R.I. From his records it appears that he had two wives. Not having divorced his first wife, he remarried and fathered children with both women. After his death wife number one and her children appeared to contest his will along with the children of wife two. The pair of medals includes copies (some rather weak) of his military and pension records along with a copy of a clipping describing the story of his wives. A very scarce and original pair of medals.

And this was attached as a picture to his Find-A-Grave Information

The condition "Palpitatio" is basically palpitation of the heart.

g3.jpg

g4.jpg

g5.jpg

1885 Census - One year before Joseph's death.

Shows Joseph's middle initial to be "W" and occupation shows Stat Engineer, meaning probably State Engineer.

g2.jpg

I don't know if you're the one that originally bought this back in 2012, but I found this grouping on WorthPoint.com

That was not me. Maybe the person I recently purchased it from was that buyer. Thanks for all the information.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be your man. (But I can be 100% certain that it's the same person.) This pension file should be in the National Archives in Washington, DC. It's definitely worth checking to see if it's the same vet. Either way, this is an extremely rare pair of medals.

post-10651-0-19411800-1548791649_thumb.jpg