Working on a few new helmets

sprprops

After years on not finding what I wanted I decided to just make my own. The M1938 tanker helmets were over a year of investment of custom pieces but the Hawleys were quicker and I got that figured out in just a few months. The idea was to make tanker and hawley helmets that were durable and would be suitable for reenacting while also looking accurate and most importantly would be affordable. When searching for usable samples for reference I was having trouble finding what I wanted especially for a good price. Both are made from impact resistant urethane instead of compressed fibre so you wouldn't need to worry about playing with them in the mud. I have basically done two flavors of tanker. 'FURY' accurate and Historically accurate and I made some dummy receivers for them. The hawleys I have been playing with different suspension styles.

So what to you all think?

post-20509-0-88572500-1547425635_thumb.jpg

Wow very impressive to say the least.

Thanks, It was a lot of money and time invested but I hope reproductions like these would be of interest to collectors other than myself.

amazing work.

Do you have any pictures of the assembly?

Thanks no real pictures of the assembly as I really didn't think any of this was going to work, but I do have these pics of some of my many mistakes.

post-20509-0-57708600-1547516091_thumb.jpg

Awesome! Are these casted from molds? Because that is a great idea for creating a durable Hawley!

Yes same process used for the ones in the HBO pacific series back in like 07/08 and I had been waiting for someone to do it again, but alas I had to do it. I now know why it wasn't done before as its a very costly and time consuming process plus I wanted the rolled lip and the correct rivets which the series props never bothered to do. Plus drilling apart a mint original hawley is a butt-clenching and expensive experience.

They do look almost too good for repros, I like what you did with the tanker helmets, if some repro companies did what you’re doing I might spring for stuff like this for re-enactments

Are you going to mark them somewhere as reproductions so that five years hence some dealer doesn't pass them off to some unsuspecting young collector as originals?

Steve

Are you going to mark them somewhere as reproductions so that five years hence some dealer doesn't pass them off to some unsuspecting young collector as originals?

Steve

Thats the important part right there -

A little age and breakage and you have yourself an expensive fake that someone will get burned with.

Maybe a light activated pen that cant be seen by the naked eye to mark them up.

Only When the Light hits the pen mark it lights up.

Just a thought

- Dean