Military Horse Shoe Nails

Brian Keith

I got this box many years ago at a flea market. Overall it is in pretty poor condition. Broken and missing piece of the lid and serious insect damage to bottom and the inside boxes, but Im glad I bought it as Ive never see another. It had a few pounds of nails in it. If you can read what is left of the lid, it is addressed to the Jeffersonville Quartermaster Depot, Jeffersonville, IN. It looks to me to be pre-WW II, but likely post WW I era. The size of the wood box is 5 ¼ high X 14 ¼ X 8 inches. It held five of the cardboard boxes, 2 1/8 high X 7 X 4 3/8. Note the lid has a corner painted blue. They are New Standard brand made by the Standard Horse Nail Corporation of New Brighton, PA., and the ink stamping on the end of the cardboard box says, SPECIAL COUNTERSUNK LEADER. The company is still in business, but no longer produces nails of any kind.

Thanks for looking.

BKW

post-1549-0-72511000-1547318874_thumb.jpg

post-1549-0-23918500-1547318885_thumb.jpg

Hi Sundance, It looks to me to be Post WW I, but Pre-WW II. It doesn't have any date indication that I can find. It is just a guess on my part. It is possible it is WW I surplus. I found it interesting the company is still in business.

Thanks for looking.

BKW