SHAEF bullion SSI with Berlin Intelligence tab

Tonomachi

I picked this up on eBay as I was hoping there was some kind of association with the OSS or maybe their Psychological Warfare Branch. So far this doesn't appear to be the case as this is what I found regarding the function of SHAEF's G-2 (intelligence) staff:

SHAEF G-2 did not collect intelligence by interrogating prisoners or sending out ground or air reconnaissance patrols. They depended on the armies or their subordinate units to supply them with this information.

SHAEF G-2 would receive estimates and information from the armies and the army groups, from Resistance groups, either directly or indirectly, from reports of the Office of Strategic Services and the Political Warfare Executive, from the estimates of the War and Navy Departments in Washington, and from the Joint Intelligence Committee in London. This information upon collection was assessed and passed onto subordinate headquarters in weekly intelligence summaries and periodic estimates.

One of the unanswered things about this patch is the wording of BERLIN with INTELLIGENCE. SHAEF came into being on February 13, 1944 in London. SHAEF moved to Versailles, France, in August of 1944. They moved a third time to Frankfurt, Germany, in May of 1945. They were discontinued on July 14, 1945. Frankfurt is pretty far from Berlin. As previously stated SHAEF did not go out and about searching for intelligence but intelligence was sent to them from various sources which they collated, assessed and then forwarded. Since they were nowhere near Berlin and were not an on the ground intelligence gathering outfit why the wording Berlin? Based on the way they gathered intelligence why would there have been a need for a satellite office in Berlin? The patch itself looks German post war occupation period manufacture. However SHAEF ceased to exist on July 14, 1945. Maybe this was a right arm patch for a former SHAEF G-2 staffer who stayed overseas and joined USAEUR (US Army Europe) in occupied Germany. But that would not explain the town of Berlin being part of the tab. Any ideas or has anyone come across this patch before?

post-1389-0-42093300-1547226764.jpg

Im thinking its USFET or EUCOM related.The blue shield is used in USFET or USAEUR.

SHAEF used black and the black was changed to blue.Your patch looks blue

From the internet:

After the surrender of Germany, SHAEF was dissolved on 14 July 1945 and, with respect to the US forces, was replaced by US Forces, European Theater (USFET). USFET was reorganized as EUCOM (European Command, not to be confused with the present-day United States European Command) on 15 March 1947.

Im thinking its USFET or EUCOM related.The blue shield is used in USFET or USAEUR.

SHAEF used black and the black was changed to blue.Your patch looks blue

From the internet:

After the surrender of Germany, SHAEF was dissolved on 14 July 1945 and, with respect to the US forces, was replaced by US Forces, European Theater (USFET). USFET was reorganized as EUCOM (European Command, not to be confused with the present-day United States European Command) on 15 March 1947.

I agree, it is most likely a USFET patch.

Jacob

Here is the same patch under different lighting which looks black but in bright lighting it looks like a dark royal blue.

post-1389-0-84240400-1547236997_thumb.jpg

My question is more basic: With the anti-American climate that existed in Germany (just after WWII), WHY would someone wear a neon billboard on their shoulder, announcing they were involved with intell work. DOH?

My family was there from '49-'54 and they were NOT pleasant times - soldiers were required to wear their uniforms ANYTIME they left their quarters; men were STRONGLY encouraged to NEVER travel alone, as German women were known to frequently phone in bogus rape charges on men, traveling alone in POVs etc. We left Germany in '54, so my father could attend flight school and by the time we returned to Frankfurt (and the end of Occupation), things had calmed down dramatically.

I believe this patch is "the real deal", but was meant as a souvenir of their duty in Berlin?

If you want a stiff jolt, read the book that can periodically be found on eBay. I can't recall the titled.... something about "the formation of the Constabulary", by an author named Snyder. My father had related these incidents to me, but I often attributed to my Dad's having had a few Heinekin's at the club. It was only after I read this stuff in the Army's official history, did I realize the Army recruiting slogan... "See Europe as NO tourist ever will!!" was way off base.

If you want a stiff jolt, read the book that can periodically be found on eBay. I can't recall the titled.... something about "the formation of the Constabulary", by an author named Snyder. My father had related these incidents to me, but I often attributed to my Dad's having had a few Heinekin's at the club. It was only after I read this stuff in the Army's official history, did I realize the Army recruiting slogan... "See Europe as NO tourist ever will!!" was way off base.

Establishment And Operations Of The United States Constabulary 3 October 1945 - 30 June 1947, by James Snyder

Thank you!! I assume you have read it? My favorite "episode" was the transportation truck company, who marched on the 3 star's house, taking he and his wife hostage and demanding that there was favoritism in shipping soldiers home after the war - they wanted to be at the front of the line. Me thinks "the guys got the long course at Leavenworth" for that stunt.

I see you are in Bama. I am a '70 grad and the outcome of The Game was LESS than pleasant. :)