Help identifying possible US Army Air Corps item?

luebberp

Hi everyone,

My grandfather was a career military man (1930s-1950s) and was stationed in Germany from the last days of WWII until the early 1950s. We have recently come across some documents and such from his days in the Army. Most of it is paperwork, but there is one item we are having difficulty identifying.

I am not in the military myself, but a quick Internet search tells me that the insignia on this item is likely from the US Army Air Corp. I am hoping someone here might be able to help with the specifics of the item itself.

Attached are a couple of pictures. Obviously the item is very small (I'm surprised it didn't get lost over the years). Any information, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Paul

post-210732-0-17933100-1547073847.jpg

post-210732-0-40014300-1547073955_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

An early WWI Air Corps sweetheart pin

Very interesting! I have never heard of these - I had to look them up. So if I am understanding what I've read about them correctly, these were not made by the military, but by independent merchants/dealers? Thank you so much for your reply - much appreciated.

Yes, made by jewelers or similar companies for the girls back home to wear in support of their 'sweethearts' serving in the armed forces. I'm guessing this was worn by a lady whose man was a transport pilot.