Glad to have found this forum.

mndoughboy1918

mndoughboy1918

Hi all, and thanks for accepting my registration request. I am very new to militaria and have spent the past year in a crash course on WWI.

Two long threads on this forum have been hugely valuable to me over the last few months.

My grandfather served in the 35th Division, 140th Infantry, Company B and I am fortunate enough to have his 1918 diary, along with some of the letters he sent home. I posted his entries, along with maps, images and commentary, throughout 2018.

I'm collecting - if you can call it that - items that relate to his experience. In addition to the diary and letters, I have a 37mm artillery shell that (I assume) he brought home and his victory medal.

My most recent acquisitions are a piece of trench art created by another soldier from the 140th, and a Company "B" Infantry collar disc.

Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

post-211118-0-31563900-1547067533_thumb.jpg

Welcome!

I am assuming you have pulled Robert's War Service Questionnaire and Bonus Record from the MNHS Library, but if not feel free to send me a private message and I can give you the scoop on how to do that.

I also have a copy of the Ramsey County in the World War photo record (not the all-text book). I'll check to see if Robert is pictured this evening.

mndoughboy1918

Welcome!

I am assuming you have pulled Robert's War Service Questionnaire and Bonus Record from the MNHS Library, but if not feel free to send me a private message and I can give you the scoop on how to do that.

I also have a copy of the Ramsey County in the World War photo record (not the all-text book). I'll check to see if Robert is pictured this evening.

Yes, I do have those docs. He's also listed in the roster in From Doniphan to Verdun: The Official History of the 140th Infantry. And of course the Army Transport records.

I wasn't aware of the Ramsey County record - interesting!

And finally, it seems he may not have reported for duty on time - he's listed in the newspaper among the "deserters." ;-)post-211118-0-16466100-1547071687.png

mndoughboy1918

He is not listed in the index for the book (but as they were voluntary/submission based that isn't too surprising).

I also just googled the book's title and it looks like SCSU digitized it for the state record (at some point in the past 6 months).

https://reflections.mndigital.org/catalog/stc:8265#/image/0

Found him in the not pictured, but also served section. Thanks!