Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of Special Engineer Task Force on D-Day?

ironsights66

ironsights66

Hello, I have been reading Spearheading D-Day and gotten myself confused. Would the Army Engineer units of the SETF have worn SSI of their permanent units, or because they were temporarily assigned to, say the 1st Infantry Division, would they have worn 1st ID patches? Specifically the 299th Engineer Combat Battalion, which belonged to First Army normally but was temporarily assigned to 1st Inf. Div. Also to make the question even more difficult, does the same apply to members of the 299th that fought on Omaha as those that fought on Utah beach? I apologize in advance for any migraines this question will cause.

Units attached to others for specific operations typically wear the shoulder patch of the parent organization. I would expect the Engineers would have worn the SSI of the 1st Army at Normandy.

Allan

Units attached to others for specific operations typically wear the shoulder patch of the parent organization. I would expect the Engineers would have worn the SSI of the 1st Army at Normandy.

Allan

+1