WWII Officer's Winter Service Uniform in Europe

whydavewhy

Was the WWII Officer's Winter Service Uniform worn year-round in the European Theater of Operations? I know that the Summer Uniform was worn in the Pacific, but I never seem to see it in Europe.

generally your correct, officers had to purchase thier own uniforms, taylor made uniforms would consist of different weight wools. But usually the typicl shades of green.

Summer Service Caps and Summer OS Caps or "hybrid" Service Caps (dark OD winter Officer's band for Summer and/or Pink Caps) were used for the MTO/ETO uniforms.

The Khaki's don't even seem to pop up in Germany after VE Day, the OD were prevalent, Italy was different, Khakis are seen, even by troops on pass in the summer of 1944 sometimes, seen once a photo in a book, probably don't have it anymore, of two 88th Div GIs in like August or early September wearing khakis while on pass.

Here is a link to a grouping in my museum. It came from an 8th Air Force Navigator and includes a set of summer tropical weight uniforms that had all of his insignia. I believe there may be pictures of him wearing them in England. It is a huge grouping and only the second part of the haul is in this link, but it include the tropicals with insignia. Scott

http://**********************.com/index.php?topic=4769.0

Here is a link to a grouping in my museum. It came from an 8th Air Force Navigator and includes a set of summer tropical weight uniforms that had all of his insignia. I believe there may be pictures of him wearing them in England. It is a huge grouping and only the second part of the haul is in this link, but it include the tropicals with insignia. Scott

http://**********************.com/index.php?topic=4769.0

Thanks Scott, but that link requires me to log in, and I am not registered with that site.

I agree, generally speaking the winter weight green uniform was seen predominantly in the ETO while the khaki summer was seen mostly in the PTO. The Med and Italy was a mix. The only USAAF grouping I have where the summer and winter overseas caps both seem to have equal wear was a B-17 navigator that flew from Italy in the 12th AF.

The UK was cool enough that British forces didn't use their white or cotton khaki drill uniforms at home even in the summer. US forces basically followed suit (no pun intended) and only prescribed the OD service uniforms (or blues for the Navy). So it wouldn't be surprising if 8th and 9th Air Force officers at British bases didn't buy summer khaki/TW uniforms that they would rarely wear. The 12th and 15th AF would be a different story of course.