07DEC41 USS Oklahoma, my grandpa's Navy papers and more

P-59A

Just to add some detail to the grouping. Your GP enlisted in 1940. He was originally, a Shipfitter, (Metalsmith, welder, plumber Damage Controlman). He became a Pipefitter (Plumber), when that was made a separate rate. Reverted back to Shipfitter, when Pipefitter was folded back into the Shipfitter rate. Made Chief Petty Officer in 1956. In 1960, after 20 years of active duty, he transferred th the FLEET RESERVE. This is NOT the Navy Reserve. The Fleet Reserve is a List that we Transfer to at the end of 20 years. We draw a pension (officially called Retainer Pay). It is supposed to be a pool of Old Hands that can be recalled immediately in emergencies. For all intents and purposes, youre retired. Ten years later, on the 30 year anniversary of your Active Duty Start Date, you are officially moved to the Retired List. But, for that 10 years, you are NOT in the Reserves. You dont report to anyone, attend drills, do not attend summer training.

The assorted discharges are because at the end of each enlistment, you must be discharged in order to re-enlist. When you Ship Over, they hand you all your discharge papers ( they have a code on them that says For immediate Reenlistment). Then slide your Shipping Over papers to you and a pen to sign up again. Always good for a bit of humor .

Any way, beautiful display! He sounds like a great Old Sailor. Thank you for sharing.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, As a kid My Grand parents moved around allot. He has award papers for training at Vandenburg AFB. My Grand parents lived on base. We used to visit them. He has training certificates for a bunch of odd things. Some have to do with missile's and a citation for a nuclear response team he led, all Air Force awards. I never could understand those. Prior to his 30 year mark in the late 60's they were in Adak Alaska for a year on a base, In my head they were all duty stations. Thanks for clearing that up!

Thanks Steve, As a kid My Grand parents moved around allot. He has award papers for training at Vandenburg AFB. My Grand parents lived on base. We used to visit them. He has training certificates for a bunch of odd things. Some have to do with missile's and a citation for a nuclear response team he led, all Air Force awards. I never could understand those. Prior to his 30 year mark in the late 60's they were in Adak Alaska for a year on a base, In my head they were all duty stations. Thanks for clearing that up!

. Im guessing he worked for DOD. Many of us go into government service when we retire. My first job after I Transferrd to the Fleet Reserve@, was as a Contractor for the Army. I was based in Orlando, but went to Army bases all over the world.

Sigsaye, Sounds like you had a good deal going too! The last thing my Grandpa did before retiring for real in the 70's was working for Cal Trans. Something about triple dipping. : )

• 10 months later...

Just to add some detail to the grouping. Your GP enlisted in 1940. He was originally, a Shipfitter, (Metalsmith, welder, plumber Damage Controlman). He became a Pipefitter (Plumber), when that was made a separate rate. Reverted back to Shipfitter, when Pipefitter was folded back into the Shipfitter rate. Made Chief Petty Officer in 1956. In 1960, after 20 years of active duty, he transferred th the FLEET RESERVE. This is NOT the Navy Reserve. The Fleet Reserve is a List that we Transfer to at the end of 20 years. We draw a pension (officially called Retainer Pay). It is supposed to be a pool of Old Hands that can be recalled immediately in emergencies. For all intents and purposes, youre retired. Ten years later, on the 30 year anniversary of your Active Duty Start Date, you are officially moved to the Retired List. But, for that 10 years, you are NOT in the Reserves. You dont report to anyone, attend drills, do not attend summer training.

The assorted discharges are because at the end of each enlistment, you must be discharged in order to re-enlist. When you Ship Over, they hand you all your discharge papers ( they have a code on them that says For immediate Reenlistment). Then slide your Shipping Over papers to you and a pen to sign up again. Always good for a bit of humor ?.

Any way, beautiful display! He sounds like a great Old Sailor. Thank you for sharing.

Steve.

Great post Sigs!!

OP, your gramps did everything that became my rate, a true forefather to us Hull Maintenance Technicians! Talkin' direct lineage!

So very cool! Had he hung in til '72-3, he would have most likely became an HT as well.

• 11 months later...

I just found this photo of my Grandpaw!!!!! I had no idea he ever had a beard!!!!   SF2c Henry O’Larson, who was awarded the Purple Heart, with chin adornment. Photograph released: 25 November 1944. USS Kalinin Bay (CVE-68).

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), photo # 80-G-272928.

Attachments area

0306805b.jpg

My grandpaw never talked much to me about his time in the US Navy, except once for a High School history project he told me about being on the USS Oklahoma at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7 1941. Most everything else I found out after he passed away in 1987. Here is a list and ships he served on during WW2. USS Oklahoma Sep. 40 to Dec. 41 (Pearl Harbor). USS Helena Dec. 41 to May 42 (Guadalcanal campaign). USS Prometheus June 42 to Dec. 42. USS St. Louis Dec. 42 to Sep. 43 (Battlels of Kula Gulf and Kolombangara). USS Kalinin Bay Nov. 43 to July 45 (Battle off Samar and the Great Marianas turkey shoot). USS PC 1591 Dec. 45 to Jan 46. After the war he was on the USS Adria, USS Toledo, USS Joyce, USS Shenandoa (battle off Quemoi and Matsu) and the last ship was the USS Bayfield untill May of 1960. I found the ships he served on during the war saw quite a bit action when he was on them. He retired from the US Navy in 1970. After he passed away I became the keeper of his medals, papers and photo's.

• 3 years later...