Jerry Cans: How To Remove Residual Gas?

AirMechanic

I dont typically buy WWII jerry cans, but I did buy three this weekend that I was hoping to resell. In the past, the few that I bought were usually dry inside and fume free due to being empty for years. One of the cans that I just bought has about an inch of questionable gas inside while another appears to be empty, but still has a strong fuel smell. I would like to get these empty and fume free to where I can ship them safely. I live in a condo, so my options for cleaning them might be limited (they are currently in the bed of my truck). Any ideas how to properly and safely remove the residual gas? If I left the lids off, would the standing gas and residual fumes just evaporate/dissipate over time?

Check your local small engine (lawnmower) repair shop. They usually have a vacuum pump for sucking the old gas out of mowers coming in for repair. A couple of bucks should cover the cost..

I would fill it with water swish it around and empty it. Then I would pour a few bottles of alcohol in it, let it soak a few minutes, swish it around then pour out the alcohol then set it in the sun for the alcohol dry out. Alcohol absorbs water and flashes off.

I would take it to a self car wash.Blast the inside with the strong detergent and rinse.Then do the alcohol like 917601 suggested.

Garandomatic

Our local radiator shop also does gas tanks and they boil tanks out. Not sure if they use chemicals or not that might affect the paint, but that'd work and you wouldn't have any mess.