Assistance with DD214 awards for Vietnam era SF officer

mmerc20

I'm usually pretty good with medals/ribbons but this 214 is a little confusing. I was hoping to get some help, at least on the ribbons he would have worn up to his retirement in 1977.

I have copies of most of his awards but was wondering when someone was awarded the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry, once with a gold star, once with a silver, and once with a Palm, would he wear three separate ribbons, one with each?

Also, the 214 is jumbled together and I'm curious what I'm missing on his ribbons (other attached photo). Would you think the "UNCG w/PL" is actually the VNCG with palm? I have the orders for it. Do I have any glaring mistakes?

Mike

post-3373-0-20042100-1546751813_thumb.jpeg

post-3373-0-02743700-1546751823_thumb.jpeg

Actually, the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry ribbon would be worn with all three devices- NOT three separate ribbons, each with one device.

Here is a photo of General H. Norman Schwarzkopf in his class A uniform. Note that he is wearing the VN CG with three devices. I have taken the photo from his Wikipedia page- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NormanSchwarzkopf.jpg

Allan

post-151-0-26676500-1546753221.jpg

Thanks a lot. It's ironic that you mention him because I just found an OER signed as the senile eagle when Schwarzkopf was a LTC.

Mike

post-3373-0-98765800-1546755781_thumb.jpeg

I am not an expert on the Air Medal and numeric vs. OLCs, but I believe that the individual would wear two silver OLCs and two Bronze OLCs. Individual stars and OLC on ribbons allowed up to four campaign stars or OLCs per ribbon.

Big John,

The army went to number devices for the Air Medal due to the unbelievably high numbers of Air Medals being racked up by helicopter pilots and crewmen. Chopper pilot Hugh Mills has a "67" on his AM ribbon.

I noticed that the awards lists FOUR oak leaf clusters for the Bronze Star, so you are short one on the image of the ribbons above.

One other small issue is that if you are representing the ribbons from 1973 (the evident date on the DD-214), the PH ribbon show be just above the Good Conduct ribbon. The order of precidence changed in the 1980's.

Allan

This is his 214 from when he retired in 1976. The 1973 date was actually his most recent security investigation but either way it shouldn't matter. There are a few award abbreviations I'm unsure of. This is what I see:

Vietnam Service Medal

National Defense Service Medal

Korea Service Medal

Korean Pres. Unit Citation

USMC Good Conduct

Army Good Conduct

Parachute Badge

Armed Forces Res. Medal

VSN?

Cbt Infantry Badge

Vietnam Campaign Medal w/60 bar

Purple Heart w/1 OLC

Bronze Star w/V

Army Commendation w/V

AM (duplicate air medal?)

Vietnam Cross of Gallantry w/silver star

Overseas bars x4

Vietnamese Jump Wings

Vietnam Cross of Gallantry w/ gold star

Air Medal w/ 12 OLC

Presidential Unit Citation

Meritorious Unit Citation

UNCG w/PL?

Army Commendation w/1 OLC

Bronze star w/4 OLC

Meritorious Service Medal

So what is a VSM? It's not a Vietnam service medal, that's already listed. On the 2nd row is an AM. Could that be a mixup because his air medals are on the last row. Finally what is a UNCG w/PL? Could that be another error and was meant to be a VN Cross of Gallantry w/palm?

Mike

post-3373-0-01906000-1546900996_thumb.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 1/5/2019 at 11:18 PM, mmerc20 said:

I'm usually pretty good with medals/ribbons but this 214 is a little confusing. I was hoping to get some help, at least on the ribbons he would have worn up to his retirement in 1977.

I have copies of most of his awards but was wondering when someone was awarded the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry, once with a gold star, once with a silver, and once with a Palm, would he wear three separate ribbons, one with each?

Also, the 214 is jumbled together and I'm curious what I'm missing on his ribbons (other attached photo). Would you think the "UNCG w/PL" is actually the VNCG with palm? I have the orders for it. Do I have any glaring mistakes?

Mike

post-3373-0-20042100-1546751813_thumb.jpeg

post-3373-0-02743700-1546751823_thumb.jpeg

I would note that with the listed 2 years in country,  based on the dates, this soldier would receive campaign participation credit for the following  EIGHT (8) campaigns: 

Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase III -1 June 1967-29 January 1968

Tet Counteroffensive 30 January 1968-1 April 1968

Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase IV 2 April 1968-30 June 1968

Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase V 1 July 1968-1 November 1968

Vietnam Summer–Fall 1969   9 June 1969 31 October 1969

Vietnam Winter–Spring 1970  1 November 1969-30 April 1970

Sanctuary Counteroffensive   1 May 1970-30 June 1970

Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase VII  1 July 1970-30 June 1971

So the ribbon would bear one silver and 3 bronze service stars, i believe.....