Utah Beach Top Secret BIGOT Map

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

Here is my best map find of 2018. A very rare BIGOT Top Secret map of Utah Beach where the actual landing occurred.

1 of 5

post-17994-0-11263200-1546723615_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Here is my best map find of 2018. A very rare BIGOT Top Secret map of Utah Beach where the actual landing occurred.

1 of 5

Hi Persian Gulf,

A very nice find, I hope that I might be able to flesh this map out for you, I have annotated a copy of your map and will add corresponding photographs that were taken at these spots.

Please let me know if you would like me to do so, or ask a forum moderator to remove the shots.

regards lewis.

post-344-0-56957800-1546737171_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Persian Gulf,

A very nice find, I hope that I might be able to flesh this map out for you, I have annotated a copy of your map and will add corresponding photographs that were taken at these spots.

Photo A was taken in the village of St Marie du Mont about six kilometres off the top of the map.

Please let me know if you would like me to do so, or ask a forum moderator to remove the shots.

regards lewis.

post-344-0-10839200-1546737479.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Persian Gulf,

Photo B is an image of the Utah Beach museum on its opening day in the 1960s, the museum used an existing German bunker, this facia can still be seen and is now within the vastly expanded museum

regards lewis.

.post-344-0-25642700-1546737888.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Persian Gulf,

Photo B. is a shot of Dick Winters taken near the museum in 2004 ( if I recall correctly ), the post that he is leaning on was cut down when the museum was extended for a large hall to exhibit a B26 aircraft.

regards lewis.

.post-344-0-51611000-1546738193.jpeg

Persian Gulf Command

Lewis,

Thank you for superimposing these reference points over the image of my map. This post is primarily to advance our field of collecting so your additions are welcome a historical embellishments.

All the best,

John

Fantastic information as always Ken!

Hi Persian Gulf,

Photo B. is a shot of Dick Winters taken near the museum in 2004 ( if I recall correctly ), the post that he is leaning on was cut down when the museum was extended for a large hall to exhibit a B26 aircraft.

regards lewis.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_a43.jpeg

General Apathy

Lewis,

Thank you for superimposing these reference points over the image of my map. This post is primarily to advance our field of collecting so your additions are welcome a historical embellishments.

All the best,

John

Hi John, thanks, I don't wish to detract from your find I only hope that I can add detail to it for the members looking at your map by using mainly WWII images.

Photo B. this is what remains of the wooden stump that Dick Winters rested against, the bunker on the right remains the same.

lewis.

.post-344-0-03443400-1546769028.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi John, thanks,

Photo C. this photo shows the large German bunker hidden behind a civilian farmhouse, the bunker is still in position now and the old farmhouse extended and is currently a cafe called ' the Roosevelt '. The old German bunker converted into the Utah museum is just off the right of the photo, the sea is past the dunes at the rear of the photo.

lewis.

post-344-0-95786000-1546769432_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi John,

Photo C. this photo situated on the seaward side of ' C 'shows the construction work being made even prior to the end of the war in Germany, an armed sentry guarding the site. The weapon pit was used as the basis for a monument to the events of the landings on this part of Utah beach, this weapons pit is still in situation today. The bunker used for the Utah beach museum is off to the right of the sentry.

lewis

.post-344-0-06289200-1546770413.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi John,

Photo C. this photo taken facing the sea from position ' C ' shows the inauguration of the completed monument, this was mid 1945 just months after the final surrender. The steps were constructed on the side of a large German bunker and the weapons pit seen in the previous post is behind the plinth seen at the top off the steps. The Utah beach museum is off to the right of this image.

lewis.

.post-344-0-03577500-1546770927.jpeg

General Apathy

Fantastic information as always Ken!

Hi Graham, thanks, this only came about as John posted his map for members to see and kindly allowed me to embellish it, I hope I do it justice.

lewis.

Johan Willaert

1 of 5

Nice and the second version of the map. The first version with first overprint was dated 12th May 1944...

Thx for posting

Hi John

Always great to see items from a fellow BIGOT map collector...

Interestingly Johan is spot on, I also notice for reference that this one is not serial numbered which leads me to believe that only the first versions were numbered. Although I have come across both versions being issued.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Tom

General Apathy

Hi John,

Photo C. this shows Eisenhower and Bradley next to the German communications bunker behind the wartime farmhouse ( now Cafe' Roosevelt )

lewis.

.post-344-0-85905400-1546862516_thumb.jpeg