How to blacken brass?

Double_Canister

There is (was?) a model railroading product called Blacken It. It worked well, but I don’t know if it would be durable enough for susp3ner hardware.

Check with your local hobby shop.

post-4767-0-58093700-1546699541_thumb.jpg

It's the product we used to blacken boot eyelets, rank devices & belt buckles when I was in the Seabees.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

post-4767-0-91709900-1546699563_thumb.jpg

suwanneetrader

When I used to relic hunt alot along Suwannee river I could buy a quart size container of yellow sulphur powder from an old time Druggest who still compounded Medicines (1970- -80) to put in my socks to keep red bugs (chiggers) out and if I recall it will tarnish silver. copper and brass. I believe you dampen the powder pour it in a small hole around your item and keep moist for a few days or just make a paste and paint on the item. Richard

M-Nu is basically a paint. There are other products that will blacken brass through a chemical process. The Blacken-It has a strong odor as I recall, but I don't recall if it was an ammonia odor. A google search turned up other products, too.

It would be interesting to experiment with commercial products vs ammonia.

I understand, but have never tried, that it will blacken brass.

Directly related to what suwanneetrader posted above, years ago I used "liver of sulfur" which darkened brass/copper. Here's a link to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver_of_sulfur I remember buying it from a pharmacy around 40 years ago, but no doubt you can get it online now. It works. The Wikipedia article tells you how to use it. As I remember though, it smells like old ripe farts!!

Steve

• 4 months later...

Here is the cheapest and easiest way. Get a plastic container you can seal. Fix a wire hanging from the lid to suspend your brass item on, not touching anything. Put a paper towel in the bottom and saturate it with household ammonia. Close the container for a few hours and then check for color you want. Most I have had to wait was overnight. Usually a few hours will do the trick. Naturally be sure your item is perfectly clean of any oil, finger prints etc. etc. Good luck.

Look up a cheap way, eggs, patina. I used it some time ago for a huge load of brass WW2 cartridges that I used phosphoric and citric acid to clean bright and shiney. To shiney, put it a plastic bag and eggs, took a few days to darken, patina was excellent......I also heard chicken sh@t works well. Get back with us.

I just reread your original question and my answer probably is not what you are looking for. The method I described, with the household ammonia, will put a patina on brass but, will not blacken it. Regards.