RIP Tom Lane

Dave

Terrible news as I heard from Kurt just yesterday. Tom and I started collecting around the same time and always caught up with each other at our local shows here in Chicago. I started collecting uniforms but moved very quickly into Purple Hearts and medal groupings. Tom, Kurt, Frank and a handful of others all competed, shared, and thoroughly enjoyed all things about medals. The Shows of Shows was always a highlight because we could all get together in person and enjoy our finds. I haven't attended a show in many a year so I hadn't seen Tom in quite awhile. He was a great guy and will be sorely missed....

So very sad, just read this news. Tom was always more than helpful, he went above and beyond to answer a question. If he didn't know he'd often find out and get the answer for you. A great loss in so many ways. RIP Tom and thank you.

With great respect and sadness,

Joe

I have been away from the forum for a while and just logged in to see this....what horrible news.

While I never met Tom I spoke with him several times via e-mail and he was quite helpful. A very sad loss.

RIP, Tom.

Gary B

I knew Tom from the Concord Plaza shows in Chicago as well as OMSA and OVMS. Always ready to share his knowledge and a steady, reasoned position on the Stolen Valor mess. I steered a number of politicians to his web site to see what medal collectors actually do.

Horribly saddened to hear this, Tom was an outstanding collector that gave me so many bits of helpful advice over the years. My thoughts are with his family

I too am saddened by this news. Although I did not know Tom on the level that many of you did, I feel much of my early knowledge of medal collecting came from his website and interactions with him through this Forum. His willingness to share his knowledge with a neophyte collector will always be treasured. RIP Tom.

Im just sick about it. Our community and family has lost another heavyweight. I befriended Tom through the gang if Allan, Kurt, Frank, and Adam at SOS. I always looked forward to seeing him drop by the table with his satchel if goodies. We had a friendly ongoing joist regarding a NC mini bar to Adm. Steele. He was always quick with a joke or to light up a smoke; always sharing knowledge.

I second Allans memories of us all sitting in s hotel room showing off our days goodies...Tom always won. Im blessed I was able to know him; a good man. The floors will be empty without Garth and Tom.

This is a sad day for the collecting world and all Tom's friends. I am concerned that all his info on his website www.purplehearts.net might go away. If there is a way to preserve it, I am all in with financial help so it can be preserved for many years. Any ideas? Dave Sleeper