Reference materials and reading

catfish774

Can I get some recommendations on books for collecting?

My interests are mostly US.

Bayonets, KABARS and such.

Thanks

Web search Gary Cunningham's Bayonet Points,. Frank Tarzaska US Military Knives, books by M.H.Cole.U S Military Knives books by M.W. Silvey

catfish774- There are great references out there now, unlike years ago when there was next to nothing. Big Daddy mentioned some good ones. I'll add a few more.

1.) US Military Knives-Books III, & IV, or "The Best of Cole"----M.H. Cole

2.)Military Knives- A Reference- Frank Trzaska & other authors

3.)The US M3 Trench Knife of WW2- Coniglio & Laden

4.) US Knife Bayonets & Scabbards- Gary Cunnigham

5.)Knives of the US Military -WW2- Mike Silvey

6.) US & Allied Military Knives Books 1 & 2- Bill Walters

7.)US Infantry Weapons of WW1, & WW2 (2 books) -Bruce Canfield

8.) The Model 1918 Mark 1 Trench Knife & Variations- Greg Aloisio

9.) Fighting knives-Frederick Stephens

Plenty of other books out there, I'm sure the other folks will add more. Welcome to the site, great bunch of folks here. Enjoy! SKIP

Coles's books (III and IV) are considered collectable by themselves, so the prices can vary from $50 up to $200 each, depending upon condition and the time of day. Gary Cunningham's book on US Bayonets can be found for $35 in most places, but I don't believe it is in print any longer. Bill Walters just put out his Book 2, at $200 is pricey but has a wealth of information that is recent. Cole's books have several errors so you have to double check a bit.

My take is get Gary Cunningham's US Bayonet book, Silvey's Knives of the US Military (to cover pocket knives), and Walters Book 2 (which will give you the latest and greatest on fixed blade knives). Once you get into specific interests go for the specialty books (like on Randalls, Fairbairn-Sykes, Marine Fighting Knives (Ka-bar), etc.)

Thanks guys, I ordered a couple books off ebay and Dixie Gun Works had a good deal on one as well. I will start with these and see how much I can learn from them. A couple of the recommended were quite expensive. I hope I don't need too much more education.... :blink: . I have an interest in the MK2 USN and Marine
KA-BAR types of WW2. Along with US bayonets. I have done lots of internet research, but books are great.
Happy hunting!
post-162579-0-35794900-1546578516_thumb.jpg

I agree some of the books are expensive, but on the other hand, if you get taken on a bad knife buy, that money spent on a book could have been worth it. Good luck! Enjoy the hobby, and the web site. Again, welcome to the site. SKIP