Hand axes - US military?

Bluehawk

My father in law gave me this beautiful Collins hand axe (hewing?) which he has had more than 50 years, but does not remember how he came to own it nor exactly when.

It is so well made, and the Collins company is one of the oldest axe manufacturers in America.

Handling and cleaning it made me think of uses the US military has had for axes over the decades. I assume this one is not GI because I find no marks to that effect anywhere on it.

I don't know how old this axe is, though have done my due diligence searching.

I assume that our military did or still does use some sort of hand axes?

Would have been or is Collins a likely source for the GI ones at any point in time?

Any light that could be shed on this general topic and research would be greatly appreciated.

post-3976-0-09078200-1546463980_thumb.jpg

It looks a lot like a carpenters ax that I used to have. Not really a hand ax but could be used as one.

I didn't know this before I started looking into it, but the Collins carpenter axe had a sort of smaller hammer-shaped opposite end, compared to the one I was given?

This one is going to be our family Go To for camping from now on! Most readily available retail axes don't hold a candle to it.

militariaone

Greetings BH,

Here's an image from Dec 1918 showing the same type of hatchet purchased by the US War Department during WWI. Image comes from a War Dept's Photo.

Njoy,

V/r Lance

post-31352-0-74234500-1546472559_thumb.jpg

Greetings BH,

Here's an image from Dec 1918 showing the same type of hatchet purchased by the US War Department during WWI. Image comes from a War Dept's Photo.

Njoy,

V/r Lance

Wow...

Something came into my head about that piece, and you have (for the rare once when a WAG of mine came true) put two two's together equalling four!

Thanks

Charlie Flick

There are a number of threads on this site pertaining to the Model of 1910 Hand Axe. Here is one of them:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/281686-some-m1910-hand-axes-come-out-of-storage/

The Collins company was famous for the quality of its products.

Charlie

There are a number of threads on this site pertaining to the Model of 1910 Hand Axe. Here is one of them:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/281686-some-m1910-hand-axes-come-out-of-storage/

The Collins company was famous for the quality of its products.

Charlie

Thank you, so much

Edged militaria has long been a side, but novice level, interest of mine.

Broad axes/hatchets would be considered more of a specialty tool. Used mostly for removing material while starting a generally flat edge to be finished off with other tools such as draw knives, planes, and such.

Broad axes/hatchets would be considered more of a specialty tool. Used mostly for removing material while starting a generally flat edge to be finished off with other tools such as draw knives, planes, and such.

Speaking of an axe and a hatchet...

Is this is good definition of BOTH, or just of "hatchet"? I perceive the two words can be used interchangeably.

a small ax with a short handle for use in one hand