USMC 1904 Special Full Dress Enlisted Coat (dated 1909)

I got this last week and thought I'd put it up for "show & tell."

I'm told it's an M-1890 enlisted full dress blouse. It looks to be in unissued condition and if it weren't for the hanger staining on the lining, probably could qualify as mint. There's not a flaw on it and it even has the original paper tag on the inside of the collar, which hints to me that it's unissued....no name anywhere on it either.

The condition was so nice that I was initially suspicious and I checked it over carefully with a black light. Nothing glowed anywhere, not even the paper label or the thread it's sewn on with. I even checked the stitching of the lining and it did not glow.

Anyway, here's a series of photos. I will probably have to make a couple follow-on posts to get them all in even after reducing the size of the photos. anyway.here goes - as always, comments are welcome. Here's the front and back of the blouse.

post-1107-1229271832.jpg

post-1107-1229271839.jpg

Here's the last three shots. Top show the inside lining with heavy quilting in the chest area. You can also see the staining from what looks like a long time hanging on a wooden hanger. Middle shows the paper tag basted to the inside of the collar and the bottom shows the QM stamp in the sleeve.

post-1107-1229271971.jpg

post-1107-1229271976.jpg

post-1107-1229271982.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Leatherneck72

This is the P1904 enlisted Special Full Dress. The full dress from 1890 had detachable epaulettes (the ones with the red worsted wool cords and nickel EGA's), and had a "roll collar."