USMC Indianapolis Arsenal M1878 Blanket Bag

m1a2u2

I'm curious to get some feedback on this. I haven't seen any pictures of other Indianapolis Arsenal Items. In Alec's book, he talks about how RIA was making blanket bags for the Marines prior to the Phila Depot opening. It seems plausible that other arsenals were used prior to RIA, given that the blanket bag was produced starting in 1878, and that the Marines may have asked for their bags to be stamped with "USMC." The giveaway will be if anyone can identify the USMC font used.

post-8903-0-77104400-1546394118.jpg

post-8903-0-67043200-1546394157.jpg

post-8903-0-58277400-1546394167.jpg

I compared your USMC Logo to a 1975 Ken Nolan Stencil Kit (Heat Transfer Kit) and it looks like a match

My .02

Bill

I compared your USMC Logo to a 1975 Ken Nolan Stencil Kit (Heat Transfer Kit) and it looks like a match

My .02

Bill

Do you have a picture?

Why is it so clean around the USMC stamp? Almost looks like someone has intentionally tried to fade it. The area around the stamp just looks a lot cleaner.

VolunteerArmoury

Why is it so clean around the USMC stamp? Almost looks like someone has intentionally tried to fade it. The area around the stamp just looks a lot cleaner.

Before I decided it was poor practice Ive cleaned paint off of some haversacks & a blanket bag which left a clean spot like this. Perhaps similar scenario?

Did the bag itself say Indianapolis Depot or just the leather strap? If just the strap then perhaps its simply been added to a RIA made bag.