An Uncommon Assembly Area

Proud Kraut

In March 2010 my unit took part at an exercise at Baumholder training area. It was a very cold but sunny afternoon when I discovered an accumulating of elder US Army vehicles on a hill at the training area. I told my driver to stop and examined the unguarded area. Obviously a couple of museum tanks and hart targets (term?) were assembled/massed for further purposes. When I arrived in Camp Aulenbach I found a couple of more guns and vehicles. I had my camera with me and took as much pics as possible. Here are some of them. Would love to know where all these vehicles and guns ended up.

A-00.jpg

A-1.jpg

A-2.jpg

A-3.jpg

I assume that these vehicles were assembled here to bring them back to the U.S. as part of forces reductions. If anybody has any informations about these vehicles I would appreciate it... HAPPY NEW YEAR!

A-19.jpg

Great photo's of some great things! I do hope they are here in the US somewhere! Thanks for posting them!

BKW

Baumholder had their own museum....many vehicles etc...I was in Germany 1974-90 and then 2002-2005 I recall going up to the Baumholder area and seeing many of these WWII vehicles ...armored museum. Baumholder has been on and off the chopping block so you’re seeing the results of USAREUR getting smaller yet the Russians are always looking at being USSR again yet the EU has their head in the sand of denial. The Russian government is not user friendly.

Lars,

Thank you for posting these.

This came up before I believe. At the time I did some digging on the internet. These were museum and display vehicles from different former US Army posts in Germany. As the posts were closed, the vehicles were gathered for movement back to the United States.

I don't have a source handy, but I believe there was an article in the Stars and Stripes newspaper. I believe these were all moved back for storage with the US Army's museum system. I believe the Tank Destroyer with the yellow star was previously on display at Baumholder.

I will look to see if I can find further information.

Actually we did discuss these before.

Please see http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229293-have-you-ever-gone-for-a-walk-and-found-a-tank/page-4

See post 74, 76, 77, and then the discussion starting in post 92 as to where the vehicles were headed.

But thank you for showing these again!

Actually we did discuss these before.

Please see http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229293-have-you-ever-gone-for-a-walk-and-found-a-tank/page-4

See post 74, 76, 77, and then the discussion starting in post 92 as to where the vehicles were headed.

But thank you for showing these again!

Gil, I'm getting old. I cleaned my harddisk and found these pictures again. Didn't even recall the "Have you ever gone..." thread. I searched the forum, not sure if I had posted them before and came up with nothing, sorry for the double post, lol.

Gil, I'm getting old. I cleaned my harddisk and found these pictures again. Didn't even recall the "Have you ever gone..." thread. I searched the forum, not sure if I had posted them before and came up with nothing, sorry for the double post, lol.

You are not the only one getting old, my friend!

I am always asking myself "Did I post that already?" Too many photos, not enough time.

No problem bringing this up again. Now that I have been reminded, I want to add something to the original thread.

And if this starts a new discussion, all the better! Ever since the US Army Ordnance Museum moved from Aberdeen, a lot of people have wondered where has all of this stuff gone. It is taking them forever to reopen the Ordnance Museum at Fort Lee.

• 2 years later...

Those are really great pictures thanks for sharing. I would also love to find out where it went, I am pretty sure some of it went to other bases in Germany. Since most of it belonged to the 1st Armored museum that used to be in Baumholder I don't think it went to the new museum in Fort Bliss since I haven't seen any of these on pictures of the new museum unless they are in storage somewhere. Still remember that replica T19 halftrack at the 1st armored museum.

• 6 months later...
On 1/1/2019 at 3:13 PM, Proud Kraut said:

er training area. It was a very cold but sunny afternoon when I discovered an accumulating of elder US Army vehicles on a hill at the training area. I told my driver to stop and examined the unguarded area. Obviously a couple of museum tanks and hart targets (term?) were assembled/massed for further purposes. When I arrived in Camp Aulenbach I found a couple of more guns and veh

An update on the photos that Lars (Proud Kraut) posted from 2010:

"Trust me as far as I know none of the vehicles in those pictures went to Fort Bliss. The 1AD museum went to Fort Bliss in 2009 and like the article said did send vehicles over from baumholder but different ones as the ones from the pictures. The pictures are from 2010 and show everything that was not send to Fort Bliss and that was left behind by the 1AD. The museum had a lot of vehicles at Baumholder and only a very small part of the collection was in fact send back. Mainly the most important ones like the two German ones, M10 TD, two shermans and the two stuarts. The information about that vehicles went to Germersheim and the German Muna museum is in fact true. Actually some of the vehicles in those pictures that you shared went to the Muna museum. So everything in your pictures is still in Europe."

William G. Kirby, The Historic Armor Appreciaton Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/147111312019224/posts/4338378829559097/?comment_id=4341125692617744&reply_comment_id=4341193492610964&notif_id=1628970463834057&ref=notif&notif_t=group_comment_mention