USMC KaBar Knife

ww2vault

Hi,

What are your thoughts on this KaBar knife? With all of the confusion and false information in the market on KaBar's, I wanted to have another set of eyes to look at it and help verify if it is a WWII period KaBar or a modern version. Thanks.

- Jeff

post-1090-1229254130.jpg

Greg Robinson

Hard to be sure from just that pic.....but it looks OK To be sure I'd need to see markings and a close up of the pommel. It appears to be a fairly early knife made by KA-BAR but repros of those do exist.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the fast response. I will get those pictures for you. What would you say a fair offer would be given it is an authentic KaBar? I usually dwell in uniforms so I am not positive what to offer the seller for it.

- Jeff

Greg Robinson
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the fast response. I will get those pictures for you. What would you say a fair offer would be given it is an authentic KaBar? I usually dwell in uniforms so I am not positive what to offer the seller for it.

- Jeff

Jeff

Value depends on what you have there but most any decent wartime Marine "k-bar" is worth $150-$200 and UP!!.

Greg

Greg,

Well I ended up buying the Ka-Bar since it looked authentic to me in person. The fellow said it was his fathers from when he served in WWII. His dad served in the Navy, but said the Ka-Bar was given to his father by a Marine. The only markings I see is the word Ka-Bar on one side of the blade, there is no USMC on the other.

- Jeff

post-1090-1229460485.jpg

post-1090-1229460522.jpg

Oh, I forgot to mention, I might have done alright on the price. His said his wife wanted the knife to go so I offered $40 and he accepted.

- Jeff

post-1090-1229460676.jpg

post-1090-1229460696.jpg

hi jeff..from the picture above it looks to me that the pommel is pinned or is it my crap eyes..is there a single pin used to hold the pommel in place.please let us all know if your ka-bar has this pin running thru the pommel..thin pinned pommels ww11 made..thick pinned pommels modern made..thick pommels no pin ww11 made..first ka-bar i ever picked up was a thick pinned pommel that had the look of a real ww11 been there and back one..a very good knife dealer pal of mine took one look at it and told me the bad news..lucky for me a word in the french dealers ear and i had my money back in my pocket...hope this one you have is without the pin..great buy for $40 if it is a ww11 made one..

regards joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for commenting. Does the attached picture help with your question? The size of the pin's head appears to be the same size as some examples I have seen our fellow blade expert, Greg, post. I am some what sure that the knife is authentic, it might be a little hard to tell from the photos I have posted, but the aging appears to be good.

- Jeff

post-1090-1229546120.jpg

Greg Robinson
Hi Joe,

Thanks for commenting. Does the attached picture help with your question? The size of the pin's head appears to be the same size as some examples I have seen our fellow blade expert, Greg, post. I am some what sure that the knife is authentic, it might be a little hard to tell from the photos I have posted, but the aging appears to be good.

- Jeff

Jeff

Looks like a legit "single side markings" KA-BAR to me......the one that has the thick heavy pommel PEENED (not pinned) to a rectangular blade tang.

Greg

Thanks Greg for the comment. I have a question that I would like to ask, I was wondering if I should try and tackle the rust on the end of the blade or not? If so, how could I go about doing it without hurting the rest of the blade? Also, what would the original condition of the blade have been in? Would it be, "blue", or a little shiny?

- Jeff

Thanks Greg for the comment. I have a question that I would like to ask, I was wondering if I should try and tackle the rust on the end of the blade or not? If so, how could I go about doing it without hurting the rest of the blade? Also, what would the original condition of the blade have been in? Would it be, "blue", or a little shiny?

- Jeff

Jeff,

Start with some light oil (think gun oil, household oil or pentrating oil, etc.) and an old SOFT rag. Let the oil sit on the rusty surfaces...you'll be amazed what comes off easily. HOpefully, that'll get it all. You may have to go more aggressive later, but start gently.

I'll stay out of the blade finish question - over my head - but I'm learning. These knives are amazing!

Thrasher

• 7 months later...
Jeff

Looks like a legit "single side markings" KA-BAR to me......the one that has the thick heavy pommel PEENED (not pinned) to a rectangular blade tang.

Greg

I have one of these , but my is brown handle and wanted to know if anyone could date this one sided marking to a certain year.

Jason

Greg Robinson
I have one of these , but my is brown handle and wanted to know if anyone could date this one sided marking to a certain year.

Jason

Probably 1943

• 3 months later...

Greetings,

Are there any good sites to confirm knifes on, besides this one? I like LOTS of pics, makes it easier to nail down.

Thanks

Greetings,

Are there any good sites to confirm knifes on, besides this one? I like LOTS of pics, makes it easier to nail down.

Thanks

If you search through this forum you will find more photos and info about KaBars than at any other place on the web. I have put together a You Tube movie showing how to search the forum: http://www.youtube.com/user/BobHudsonVideo#p/u/2/-hUjl9IUPsc