Patrol in the Ardennes

Geoff

I have to confess that this is about 50% modeling and 50% Photoshop editing to create a finished image that looks like artwork rather than a simple photo of a diorama scene.

The subject is an American soldier on patrol in the Ardennes near the end of the fighting in January 1945. During his patrol the American comes across two hastily dug graves of German soldiers who were killed in the fighting.

The American soldier is an old Tamiya figure from the 1970s that I modified/upgraded with a new head by Hornet, added an entrenching tool and magazine pouch for his M1 Thompson, and added a sling to the weapon.

post-61052-0-38819100-1546230810_thumb.jpg

I built the graves on a styrofoam base. I glued real sticks together to form the crosses, then added real dirt into mound shapes. I sprinkled flour over the top of the crosses and dirt and gently smoothed the flour with my fingertips and a brush. I photographed the vignette outside in late afternoon under a partly cloudy sky. I didn't want bright sunlight.

post-61052-0-94563000-1546231287_thumb.jpg

Next, I took a 35th scale German helmet from Live-Resin, glued two narrow strips of blue painter's tape onto the sides to model chinstraps, and placed the helmet on a toothpick in the styrofoam and took a photo of it from several different angles to get two finished images.

post-61052-0-21431700-1546231545.jpg

Finally I placed a winter forest photo that I took last year as my background in Photoshop, then added the different elements - the figure, grave vignette, and German helmets in a series of layers on top of each other. Next I adjusted colors, brightness and contrast, etc to get a uniform feel and color for the entire scene. Finally I added a snow effect over the photo images and also painted in snow on the German helmets and on the American figure. Hope you enjoy the finished product!

Hey Geof, to paraphrase 'Sundance': It does look cold. Nice job on this diorama. It's simple yet tells the story.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Hi Doyler, no, I hadn't given any thought to build a permanent display. I was mainly trying my hand manipulating model elements into a digital background and seeing how it turned out. May have to think about it on future projects, however!

• 2 weeks later...