Sam Browne Belts for Flight Instructors?

cwnorma

I don't know if this has been asked before, and I swear I have read it somewhere, but I cannot find the reference.

Supposedly, during the war, stateside Flight Instructors were granted special dispensation to wear Sam Browne belts in recognition and as a badge of their office as Flight Instructors.

I don't know if this was ever; official, unofficial but wide-spread, or limited to a specific airfield... The worst thing is that I know I have read it but I am unable to find the reference!

The reason I ask, I came across this photo of 1Lt Ormer Locklear (inspiration for the movie-character "Waldo Pepper):

post-594-0-08890400-1546229443.jpg

In the photo, Locklear, who never served overseas (like the fictionalized Waldo Pepper) is very clearly wearing a Sam Browne belt on his Flight Instructor's uniform (you can see the Flight Instructor wing on the cuff).

So do any of you have any idea where it might be referenced, or where I got the idea from that Flight Instructors (All? Some? Only at one airfield?) were authorized Sam Brown belts in the US?

Help!

Chris

No ideas? Am I going mad and misremembering the whole thing?

Rereading through Air Service Journals, I did find an early 1918 reference to; Instructors, having returned from overseas for instruction duty, being prohibited from wearing overseas caps and Sam Brown belts in the US. The article noted that there was much consternation as the caps and Sam Brownes were a badge of having been "over there."

I am still searching for the original reference and will post it when (if) I find it again.

Chris

Sorry I can't help with official documentation, but I have read in several books that stateside Army MP's were very diligent in enforcing the no Sam Brown belt regulations - that is until Pershing came home proudly wearing his. Before that point USMC officers were allowed to wear the belt in the states and that would also go for civilian organizations and I suppose that could include civilian flight instructors. US flight students wore a white band on their peaked caps while they were cadets - wouldn't that be a distinction enough to differentiate them from commissioned officers and pilots without instituting the Sam Brown belt? I can't see any serving Army officers in the states being able to get away with this before it was officially allowed. But, maybe it was permitted at Air Service training fields as you say. Heck, we all know anything's possible!

I wonder if that photo of Locklear was taken after Pershing came back to the states?

• 5 months later...

I still have not re-found the reference. If I ever do, I will update it here.