LPU-2/P with rigger made pouches

HUD69

Hi,

Just found (and purchased) this LPU-2/P with two rigger made pouches attached.

They might have contained survival equipment when a vest was not worn, or extra survival radio's over a combat zone.

post-163947-0-87330600-1546063590_thumb.jpg

Only seen this once before on a Naval counterpart of this type of life preserver in the Breuninger book.

Cheers,

Ron

Looks to be a Naval contract number. Maybe they wanted it to be like the earlier MA-2 life preservers that had the 2 survival kit pockets mounted similar to that. Probably held those PSK I and II kits or similar and some others pieces. Nice find!

Looks indeed like they are the correct size to hold the PSK-2 (I) and (II) containers.

As the late 50's saw the introduction of the MK-3C as life preserver designed to be used with the integrated parachute harnesses, the MA-2 / LPU-2/P was used with conventional parachutes perhaps?

Also looking at several images on the internet from LPU-2/P labels, it seems several have combined USAF/Naval contract numbers (early and mid 60's) I noticed two different contractnumbers.

The one in my image, is the only I have seen with the holes to attach the pouches.Probably part of the rigger modification?

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Upon closer inspection of the set (okay, took me 6 months) I noticed the following.

It still contains the CO2 bottles and has a nice little card with inspection dates.

The card shows Hickham AFB and a 1967 date.

The pouches contain (on one side) a 1964 dated whistle, a sea dye marker and a crew beacon (with clip)

The other pouche only had a similar whistle.

So in the end the LPU was USAF used, Hickham had C-124 and 0-2 aircraft (a.o.?) in those days.

post-163947-0-66040300-1559481088.jpg

post-163947-0-82220300-1559481104.jpg

Cheers,

Ron