Oldest EM in combat during WW2

Buckshot329

My uncle's WWII assignments:

Co. E, 2nd M.I. Tng Bn 7-Jun-43 Co. F, 2nd Tng Bn 5-Jul-43 Co. H, 2nd Tng Bn 18-Aug-43 MIS ETOUSA 23-Nov-43 HQ MIS Special Troops, ETOUSA APO 887 18-Apr-44 HQ VII Corps APO 307, 1st US Army 12-Apr-44 XXI Corps 18-May-45 28-May-45 ETOUSA MIS DY P/C 29-May-45 30-Jun-45 417th CIC OFF 2-Jul-45 28-Aug-45 1013th CIC DET 29-Aug-45 21-Sep-45

1952 in Japan. Two years later, he would be promoted to major and aged out at 55 years old. He went into the intel business with the fedgov upon his separation and served into the 1970s. He was a veteran of three wars.

post-9529-0-84710400-1546117164_thumb.jpg

Here's a uniform to one of my oldest soldiers. Cpl Lyman Croyle served in two wars. With the 1st Div. 1st Ammo Train in WWI and with the USMC stateside in WWII at an airbase as a fireman and sentry dog handler. I have a few other uniforms to some older guys (in their late 30's when they enlisted for WWII), and I think older enlistee's may have been more common than we think, especially in support units where skills from their civilian occupations may have helped.

post-19184-0-07240000-1546376139_thumb.jpg

RustyCanteen

A friend and I once researched a 56 year old enlistee who was serving in France in WWI; he was wounded too.

Not exactly the same time frame, but older enlistees (both voluntary and drafted) happened, as did more portly soldiers. There's a reason they had big sizes back then; soldiers came in a wide range of age and weight.

• 2 weeks later...
El Bibliotecario

Another thing that collectors need to remember about the US Army prior to Vietnam- rank was NOT an automatic thing and was restricted to specific openings in the individual units. A sergeant in one company could get transferred to another company in the same battalion and lose his stripes because there wasn't a sergeant's billet available in the other company. Also in this time, ranks went up and down like a flag on a flagpole with soldiers receiving promotions and demotions at the whim of the company first sergeant or company commander.

While promotions and demotions were indeed more localized at unit level, the system of grades belonging to the unit rather than the individual ended quite a few years before the Viet Nam war.

Google Rupert Trimmingham. Pretty important african american soldier if you follow yank magazine. Almost as old as him, being born in 1899.