M1A1 Thompson

ardennes44

Hello guys

I would like your opinion for some details on a M1A1 Thompson .

1 .is it normal to find a dark green/black parkerised body and a blued barrel ? Already seen here on the forum ( member all I knew )

2. I read on the French gazette des armes

That the marking A1 beginning at 850 000 !? the one that I can buy is 835 000 already marked A1 ( not the A1 added )

3 there are some trace of black paint ( on the metal ) just over the pistol grips and near the loader receiver too.

In advance thank you:-)

Just like this one

1. It appears that the gun you described has been refinished and a new barrel has been installed. The original finish on the Thompson was DuLite blue-black in color. The original barrels were blued as I have one new in the factory wrapper. They were proof marked "P" along with the manufactures marking. Mine is marked with an S for Savage made.

2.Serial number ranges for M1's - highest was 259000. The lowest M1A1 documented number was in the high 265000 and the highest recorded was 874000. So yours being marked 835000 is in the correct range for and original M1A1 and not a converted M1. Usually when they were stamped with and additional M1 they had there bolts modified.

3. Not sure what the back paint is all about.

I suggest you pick up a copy of Frank Iannamico's book on the Thompson. Its an excellent reference book and will answer any questions you have on the Thompson!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Thunder-III-3-Frank-Iannamico-Thompson-Submachine-gun/173709461901?epid=215319657&hash=item2871e4098d:g:HA4AAOSw5ZBWHqtT:rk:11:pf:0

For sure its not the original finish and has been arsenal refinished. Gun has the Arsenal stamping "RAP" which means it was rebuilt at the Raitan Arsenal. Raritan Arsenal (1918-1964) - A United States Arsenal first established in 1918 during World War I as Camp Raritan in Middlesex County, New Jersey. Abandoned as an arsenal in 1964 and redeveloped for civilian use. The barrell is the finish and has the "P" proof mark.

How it got rebuilt after the war in the States and made it back to Belgium is a good question as most overseas weapons were not marked after being rebuilt at Army Depots.

The gun is deactivated correct? Are you buying it and what would it cost?