Last bring back for the year! Mauser HSc

WWIIBuff1945

Thread Revival. My name is Martin (Marty) Phillips and I am Lowell Van Tilburgh's step son. Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of his death. On a whim, I did an internet search and found this forum thread. 

WWIIBuff1945, I am the one that told my mother it was OK to send you Van's (Lowell's) discharge papers after reviewing the information you had mailed her in Lakeland. She is 89 now, still alive and currently living with me in Indiana. FWIW, I have shot the very pistol pictured above :^)

I would like to add some addition information to this thread, although it may not be totally relevant:

1. Although his first name was Lowell, everyone called him Van.

2. His father was KIA in WWI when he was young. I lost my father when I was young (just turned 5). This was one of things we have in common.

3. When he enlisted, the person in charge did not want to allow him to enlist as his father was killed WWI and he had (or could have had?)a farming exemption preventing him from being drafted. His response was all his friends were being drafted or enlisted, and he is going to go too. 

4. As a radio operator in WWII, he did a lot of weather reconnaissance aboard aircraft. he told me that code for signing of at the end of the radio message was VA, and he would sign off as VAN, letting his counter parts know it was him. He said this got him into trouble for a couple of times.

5. I don't remember the exact details, but he spent months (6 months?) in a hospital bed in England. I cannot remember if it was spinal meningitis, or what it was.

6. He never lived in Cincinnati as shown on the certificate above.

7. He drove a milk route before the war. After the war he bought the milk route. He later purchased Grubbs Supply, Inc. in Greenville, Ohio

8. He was a businessman, active in the community, Rotarian, Shriner, a good husband to my mother and the only father I ever knew. 

Just thought I would share after stumbling across this thread. I will try to answer any questions the best I can if there are any.

Welcome to the forum Marty.

Very interesting information from such a personal point of view.

Do you know where the pistol was found and what unit was he in?

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

Welcome to the forum Marty.

Very interesting information from such a personal point of view.

Do you know where the pistol was found and what unit was he in?

Discharge shows him as the 40th Mobile Communications Squadron. ( which may have been his last unit assigned to for discharge) The officer signing the capture paper was with a Triple A unit. 

Hi Marty,

I'm so glad you found the forum and my posting on Van! He sounds like he was a wonderful man. I am writing a book on WWII bring back weapons like Van brought home. Van of course is in it and I will try and add the information you provided. I don't normally offer this but if you want Van's pistol back in the family again, I will sell it back for what I paid for it.

https://pre98.com/shop/mauser-hsc-pistol-e-135-proofed-mid-1943-production-very-sharp-with-capture-papers/

Thanks Keith

I'm so glad you found the forum and my posting on Van! He sounds like he was a wonderful man. I am writing a book on WWII bring back weapons like Van brought home. Van of course is in it and I will try and add the information you provided. I don't normally offer this but if you want Van's pistol back in the family again, I will sell it back for what I paid for it.

Thank you. I really appreciate the offer, but no, you keep it. The grandchildren (four adult girls) have keepsakes of their grandfather. I would like to be able to buy an autographed copy of your book when it is finished. I PM'd you my contact info!