USS Texas

kammo-man

Great shots!!!! Yeah, the old lady needs some serious tlc, that is for sure. I didn't know she still had her casemated guns. I thought those were landed as they were wet. I hope her curator has a program in hand to address the corrosion, I believe she is in the mud right now and there was talk of installing a cofferdam system to access the lower hull. I hope that happens.....

-Ski

Posted Image

Look at this !

Impressive to say the least

I am not going to say a bad word about the effort going into the guys who work on the ship and the effort going into keeping her afloat

I talked to some of the guys and they called themselves 2 of the few !

It’s a thankless task with no money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been there twice myself. It really is a cool old battleship. Interesting to see what state of the art technology look like just after the turn of the last century. I think the color is actually a navy blue? Anyway it was pretty impressive and Im so glad that the state of Texas has preserve battleships it otherwise wouldve been I practice target or scrapped. The San Jacinto Monument across the way is also a very cool sites to visit. I believe its the same hyper just slightly higher than the Washington Monument. On my first trip to Houston I was not aware that it existed and I was quite surprised to see it when we went to visit the battleship.

2839703145a34e52d8b0ff0472e6e60d.jpg

Please forgive my Naval flag ignorance but this was running on the front flag pole and was beautiful

74eec035c61140219ac26120f0eb6afe.jpg

Got as far as the boss den

Great photos, love the battleship Texas!

In case anyone wonders, the circular spots are the mountings for 20mm AA guns that were removed at the end of WWII. With the threat of the kamikazes, they installed as many AA guns as possible.