WW2 USAAF Sterling Beverlycraft Wings With "R" on Shield

1943collector

1943collector

I don't know much about wings and i just picked up these wings along with a bunch of WWII German stuff. Can anyone identify what they were issued for and are they period US WWII era. The R on the front is a seperate piece on the shield and the only mark on the rear is a sterling stamped mark. They are about 3 inches overall length and have a long brass pin with a ball type catch. Thanks in advance for your information. Mike

post-4755-1229197039.jpg

post-4755-1229197521.jpg

post-4755-1229197585.jpg

I don't know much about wings and i just picked up these wings along with a bunch of WWII German stuff. Can anyone identify what they were issued for and are they period US WWII era. The R on the front is a seperate piece on the shield and the only mark on the rear is a sterling stamped mark. They are about 3 inches overall length and have a long brass pin with a ball type catch. Thanks in advance for your information. Mike

Very nice pair of wings. They are a modified pilot wing made by Beverly Craft. If you look carefully, you will see a small palm tree in the front of the sterling mark.

I am not sure what they are for exactly. They are unofficial but you do see them periodically, and I have heard any number of explanations for who wore them. I suspect a radio opperator for one of the ATC contract crews, but that is just a guess.

Again, a very nice pair of relatively rare wings.

Patrick

For some reason, they are like that. All the pinback Beverly Craft wings I have seen have the hinge and catch reversed. This company made wings and other insignia (as well as lots of sweetheart jewlery type stuff) in the 1940's.

P

A very interesting set of wings... radio operator... radar operator... maybe a sweetheart with the first initial of R. One thing is for certain is that someone took this to a jeweler to have the shield re-worked and the R applied.

I like it!

John

Saw one of these with an "E" on it a couple of years ago. Flight Engineer I suppose and I think an Aircrew wings was used as a base.

Paul S

I recall being advised that non-reg "R" wings were worn by Radar Operator/Back-seaters on P-61 "Black Widow" night fighters. Nice piece!

Bobgee

Absolutely stunning Radio/Radar operators wings ( I lean towards Radio) . I had a 8th AAF tunic with an embroidered version of this wing not to long ago, and I have seen CBI theater made versions also. If you ever decide to part with it let me know! jeal0001.gif

Captainofthe7th

Actually the R is for Robert....they are mine xD

Great wings, they're very interesting. I'll have to look out for a pair, I look out for Navy and AAC radioman "stuff."

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice wings and as a novice I will none the less throw this out there. Could they be, a theater made Radar Operator Wings or even British made?

Nice set of wings, but prehaps the thought toward ATC flying schools should be looked at a bit harder. The different fields wanted thier guys to stand out just a little bit ahead of the normal pilots and there is a wide varitey of wings that these pilot trainers wore, most in very limited production. A lot of them were custom made. Just a thought, Dave