EARLY USN FLIGHT SURGEON WING

madcap

I picked this wing up back in the mid seventies from an old established coin shop in San Antonio. The shop owner or employee was very unhappy about it being sold without their knowledge. It was early in my collecting days and I assumed it was a very old USN Flight Surgeon Wing. After all these years I still don't know what it represents. My theory is it was jeweler made for a Navy Flight Surgeon before an approved wing was officially available.

The wing appears to be brass with silver plate, hand finished and three piece. The silver disk was probably soldered to the wing finished with caduceus on top.

As soon as I can figure out how to modify my camera settings to take smaller images I'll post further detailed photos.

Anyone that's seen anything familiar or has comments please sound off.

Dick

post-204646-0-28601900-1545584475_thumb.jpg

Not necessarily military. Good chance it was made for use by a civilian air medical evacuation organization. But, without knowing what it is, there's no way to really know what it is.

Only three images show up on my picture file for some reason - I hate windows 10 - standby...

Any ideas on the similarity to USN styling?

post-204646-0-79526100-1545586602_thumb.jpg

I agree that it is most likely civilian and not military.

Not saying it was not maybe made by a civilian jeweler for someone in the military, but it is unlikely.

I have images of the first design of the USN Flight Surgeon Wing Badge which failed to be adopted,

in favor of the well known first pattern which was adopted in 1942.

It looked nothing like this badge.

Second pattern was adopted in 1952.

John

The wing base does look pretty close to a early Dunham pattern Aviator, which was never adopted by the Navy.

I wonder if Dunham made this a one off for an individual?

I think John is probably on to something. The base wing appears to be Dunham's version of a Naval Aviator, modified for whatever organization or purpose this badge represents.

Some of the early JN-4's had their camel backs modified so they could be used as a sort of rudimentary areal ambulance. Aerial Ambulances were used by both the military and civilian organizations.

There were also rumors (Although I've never seen the matter officially referenced anywhere) that there were some "Aerial Nurses" in 1918-1919. These rumors are pervasive enough that one faker even went so far as to fake-up a "WW1 Aerial Nurse Badge:

post-594-0-20103000-1545604011.jpg

The badge at the top of this thread may not be military and it definitely isn't regulation but it almost certainly is related to early aviation medicine. If the Dan Dunham aspect holds it may also be associated with central Texas.

Chris

Im trying to learn more about flight surgeon wings. Why would you assume USN as opposed to USAAF? Thanks!

The particular design of the wing closely resembles the classic USN wing pattern.

As a side note, even if not related to the USN in particular, the maker apparently borrowed the pattern from the USN. Earlier wings exhibit more delicate treatment which has always offered a visual thrill if that makes sense, and I can't help marvel at how attractive and they are.

Do any of you guys have and example of an early Dunham wing...or know where I could reference one....? I'd like to see what they look like out of curiosity.

Thanks,

Dick

Do any of you guys have and example of an early Dunham wing...or know where I could reference one....? I'd like to see what they look like out of curiosity.

Thanks,

Dick

Go to

www.ww2wings.com

Then WWI wing section, US Navy, second wing from the top.

John

Go to

www.ww2wings.com

Then WWI wing section, US Navy, second wing from the top.

John

That sure looks like the pattern alright...interesting, thanks John