Question about finding General Orders for medals

Dave

All:

I'm kind of surprised I don't know this, but for the life of me, I can't find what I'm looking for!

I am trying to research a medal that was awarded in the North African Theater of Operations (US Army) which is listed as "NA" in Al Gleim's US Army Awards of the Legion of Merit for WWII (my source for figuring out what GO the medal was awarded under).

My question: I've been able to find the War Department GOs, but no GOs below that. I know that I can get divison-level GOs from NARA by doing an e-mail request. However, I've never tried theater-level GOs, and to be honest, I'm not 100% sure what they are called (which makes the request to NARA a bit difficult!)

I could be over thinking this and it might just be as easy as requesting "GO XX of 194X from the North African Theater of Operations US Army" for the Legion of Merit to Major So-and-So from NARA, but then again, I might be going down the wrong trail.

Any help/pointers are appreciated!

Thank you!

Dave

Captainofthe7th

Hi Dave -- I think you're are on the right track. I've been working on a Distinguished Service Cross list and all of the issuing commands for those GOs are usually Armies or Commands.

Examples:

1st Army

9th Army

US Army North African Theater of Operations (or) North African Theater of Operations

US Army Southwest Pacific

US Army Pacific

Allied Forces Headquarters

XVI Corps

XVIII Abn Corps

US Army Forces Far East

I've found the Archives II people to be very helpful and can do a lot with limited information as long as they have a starting point.

Rob

Hi Dave...Good news that the First Division Museum At Cantigny finally digitized all 29 volumes of WWI First Division Records. That's how I found about my Grandfather's WWI Silver Star Medal information. I sent my documents I found to the US Army for approval and they did. Here is a great resource that our Forum members can research. Maybe find a GO or a medal their family are entitled to like what I did.

• 5 weeks later...