Metal Detector Finds

SM Baker

There is a state park in S.E. Massachusetts that used to be the site of a Navy Ammo Depot (Hingham). Every now and then I take my metal detector up there. Haven't found anything to get that excited about yet. I did find a lead ball and a cool whiskey bottle from the '40's. The other day I found 10 of these oil drum caps all buried together.
At least I think that's what they are.

post-206033-0-58824100-1545368094_thumb.jpg

post-206033-0-32531100-1545368104.jpg

Metal detector! Oh, that makes me excited! Sis and I always wished Grampa would have bought one. He lives in Tennessee (owns half a mountain - from top to bottom, so if you were to slice the mountain like a cake and cut it in half) and the mountain was the site of a CW battle (as well as Indian burial grounds). Well, Mom always remembered that when it rained, bullets and arrowheads would wash down onto the back patio. Occasionally a belt buckle. Our Uncle even found a CW cannon ball! Sis and I always wished we could get a metal detector and hike around. Oh, it would be so fun! Now we don't go there anymore, but it probably is as rich as ever!

Keep detecting! You never know what you'll find! Love the pics!

Metal detector! Oh, that makes me excited! Sis and I always wished Grampa would have bought one. He lives in Tennessee (owns half a mountain - from top to bottom, so if you were to slice the mountain like a cake and cut it in half) and the mountain was the site of a CW battle (as well as Indian burial grounds). Well, Mom always remembered that when it rained, bullets and arrowheads would wash down onto the back patio. Occasionally a belt buckle. Our Uncle even found a CW cannon ball! Sis and I always wished we could get a metal detector and hike around. Oh, it would be so fun! Now we don't go there anymore, but it probably is as rich as ever!

Keep detecting! You never know what you'll find! Love the pics!

It's never too late, Elizabeth!

There were some square USN fuel cans during WWII that used the same type of cap, with an attached chain retainer too.

There were some square USN fuel cans during WWII that used the same type of cap, with an attached chain retainer too.

I'd like to come across one of those in good condition! I put them on Ebay for 7 bucks + shipping. I don't know what to do with them.

• 2 years later...