Please help with opinions on Army Air Corps photo colorization

mrwarbooty

Hi All,

I'm paying a very wonderful photo restorer / colorization expert, to help me with some photo work on a KIA Purple Heart grouping, from an airman who died December 1, 1943, over western Germany. 8th AF. B-17. Assigned 511BS / 351BG, Polebrook. Can any Air Corps experts provide me with feedback on any technical errors they see, as far as colors? One thing that I noticed in the proofs, is that the Army Air Corps patch colors are off, in the individual studio portrait. And the color of the pants seem off as well, in the Mother/son photo.

Any comments or recommendations?

post-29803-0-19555900-1545322418_thumb.jpg

The SSI should be the standard USAAF patch. The collar brass is just that, brass. Looks fine to me. Pants and jacket were nearly identical in shade for EM, only officers had different colored (pinks and greens) trousers.

post-32676-0-44625000-1545324597_thumb.jpg

You are absolutely correct in the first two photos. The Air Force SSI looks like it hasn't been colorized. As for the crew photo, looks to be well done. Jack

Thanks, Matt & Jack. For some reason, I keep thinking the pants look Marine Corps color.

Good comment about the "pinks" for officers. I don't think I fully comprehended that.

For what it's worth, I'd ask him to enhance the colors on the B-17 a bit more. The underside should be "neutral gray" and the prop tips "insignia yellow", as seen in this original color photo of a B-17F in England, which would have the same camouflage as the B-17G in your photo.

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-93111800-1545327351_thumb.jpg

Good catch, Paul. I see the difference vs. the photo that you posted. Thanks.

Thanks, Matt, for the link. I've never seen that webpage before. Very interesting. And provides a great color reference!

Paul, forgive my ignorance....but in comparing the photo that you attached, of the B-17F, vs. the B-17G in my colorized proof photo, what is the housing at the very nose of the plane,jus before the glass canopy, hanging down? Is that a forward gun turret? In your opinion, would that also be painted in the "neutral gray" that you mention?

Not to interrupt, but yes, commonly called the "chin turret". The 2 vertical slots were where the 2 .50 calibers were located (not installed in your photo) and elevated up and down. In your photo it is rotated 90 degrees to the right.

post-32676-0-19878400-1545334235.jpg

Thanks, Matt. I couldn't figure out for sure what that was, and your picture makes better sense, especially seeing the .50 calibers installed.

Yes, the chin turret would also be painted neutral gray, along with the other underside surfaces. In point of fact, the nose turret in your photo is actually rotated 90 degrees to the left and we are seeing the rear of the turret, which is why we cannot see its twin .50 cal. MGs.

post-9787-0-66921300-1545342867_thumb.jpg

post-9787-0-81942600-1545342882_thumb.jpg

post-9787-0-20273600-1545342920_thumb.jpg

Thanks, All, for the input.

With your kind assistance and advice, some alterations and corrections will be made to the proofs. I'll post the final results in a few weeks when they are completed. I'd also like to share the name and contact info of the very kind lady helping me out on this project. She does wonderful work with photo restoration and colorization. I just need to ask her first if that's OK. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All. I'd like to share the revised proofs, of the previously posted photos (above). I think for all intents and purposes, they look spot on.

post-29803-0-27056000-1546453516_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Just wanted to share the final photos. The individual portrait in post #16 is the final version. The crew photo in post #18 is the final version. Here is the final version of the mother and son:

post-29803-0-90661900-1547947111_thumb.jpg

If you have a similar restoration or colorization project that you wish to undertake, I'd like to recommend Claudia d'Souza. She can be found at Facebook at:

https://www.facebook.com/thephotoalchemist/?eid=ARC1QhYpsCRkjl94zXNtlbPkWUHzQZ0LisPhX9VXAFvdpQgX27VIycGi5FwHgiy2sdiUFrzZyOHtH3xr&fref=tag

Or she can be contacted directly by email at:

[email protected]

I can't recommend her enough, plus, she's just a very nice lady. While she may not be a Militaria collector, she has a deep sense of history and preserving wonderful images from the past.