Krag with Springfield Front sight?

VolunteerArmoury

VolunteerArmoury

Ive purchased an overall fantastic M1898 Krag for $400 but it has a sight like that for M1903 Springfields. Before I restore it I want to insure Im not overlooking a time when that sight couldve been added in the contemporary era & me potentially mess something up by trying to fix it.

It sounds like it could be the so-called 'M1901' ladder sight, this was replaced by a modified 1898 sight design in 1902.

Photos would tell.

VolunteerArmoury

Unfortunately I’m on the road & the rifle has been sent home. Whilst typing this on my phone earlier I failed to realize I hadn’t specified it it the front sight not the rear. It looks just like the sight that’s on my six M1903s & distinctly not what’s on my other Krags

Without seeing it there is a good chance it is the aforementioned Krag ladder sight, but photos will be the definitive answer. With a Krag, it never hurts to check since so many have been altered in one way or another in the past 110+ years.

A noticeable difference between the Krag ladder sight and the M1903 Springfield ladder sight, is that the Krag sight lacks the large windage knob.

VolunteerArmoury

It is the front sight not the rear ladder sight. I’m familiar with most of the variations for I’ve had several of them in my collection but just not a Krag with a Springfield style front sight. I don’t see anything in my references regarding a Springfield front sight though I can certainly see that being a period modification.

VolunteerArmoury

It is a Springfield sight just like this one in the photo which I just snagged from Fulton Armorys site. But again Ive already mailed the rifle back home.

post-373-0-65445700-1545255924.jpeg

Hi ok, I missed that you were talking about a front sight. To my knowledge none of them ever came from Springfield with that, and I do not know that it was ever an approved repair. That said, it was not uncommon to see a M1903 Springfield front sight installed after they were sold surplus. The Krag was a very long rifle, and a lot of them were converted into short rifle and carbine configuration during the 1920s by companies like Bannerman. The original front sights required a machined dovetail, and I suspect that the companies just found it simpler and cheaper (and from a sales point of view, probably more desirable to hunters) to use the M1903 front sight. It was probably also a common repair for gunsmiths over the years who did not have the time or equipment to install an original front sight.