Anyone know what this O2 tank is for?

FTLewisBrat

Does anyone know what the practical use of this oxygen tank assembly might have been?

Its labeled with NSN# 1660- 01-012-8108 and dated 12-77, tanks are rated for 2100 psi.

When I look it up the description is OXYGEN SYSTEM, FREE FALL, and it appears under the Aircraft Components and Accessories / Aircraft Air Conditioning, Heating, and Pressurizing Equipment section.

Other oxygen tanks Ive seen used by parachutists are single tank items, so I was wondering if it might have been for emergency use in an aircraft of some kind.

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

Rick

post-108940-0-54658000-1545242800_thumb.jpg

post-108940-0-59774400-1545242823_thumb.jpg

post-108940-0-76956000-1545242832_thumb.jpg

post-108940-0-50391400-1545243214_thumb.jpg

one web site describes it as part of a free fall system...here is a record of the NSN order history, or demand from supply anyway...

post-155518-0-94479800-1545255535.jpg

I saw "free fall" in the description and initially thought maybe it was a HALO item of some kind.

That doesn't seem to jive with it's being listed in aircraft categories though.

HALO could be...when I hear HALO I think spec ops stuff...could be for the high altitude ballon parachute jumps...not sure if the USAF still does that kinda stuff

F111 had an escape pod..

Maybe something along those lines...

Looks like an earlier HALO oxygen setup from the 70s, def not the current style. The current one does use a twin bottle setup similar to that but different tanks and the regulator is different. This looks like it used a bailout bottle style rubber hose and fitting to deliver the oxygen and its clearly cut off.

• 10 months later...

That assembly is part of the O2 system for the MC-3 HALO Freefall rig which used the 24' flat circular, steering modified canopy for high altitude work. circa 70s

The hose that's been cut would have connected to the CRU-60 for the MS22001 (or other)

Info can be found in TM 10-1670-264-13&P

Id imagine if Army used with a MS mask in the 70s, it probably had a MC-3A connector installed on the mask vs a 3 pin bayonet connector for a CRU. Never saw a Army Aviation MS mask with anything other than the MC-3A but also never saw a MS that was actually used for HALO in a actual photo, just recent displays. Basically does the same job for a bailout or aircraft supply connection but stays with the mask and makes it a bit heavier. Figured I was tracking right on it was a HALO setup. FPI Ohio is still in business making Aviators Breathing Oxygen regulators, connectors and such.

The MC-3A would be difficult to "anchor" to the parachute harness, where as the CRU-60 had a hard bayonet mount to

facilitate stability at terminal velocity. Maybe the most deciding factor between the two. Below is a couple of pics from the TM.

post-173754-0-11402600-1573219179.jpg

I sold this item to another forum member not long after posting this question, he sent me a link to some pics of the bottle set in use.

First pic is labeled;

Special Force, April 1982. Fort Bragg, NC. The five Special Force units: Combat Parachutist, High Flight Parachutist, Mountain Training, Frogmen, and Forest Jumper.

You can see the bottle under the reserve.

post-108940-0-74705500-1573228402_thumb.jpg

Second pic is labeled;

April 1982. Fort Bragg, NC. The High Flight Parachutist, one of the five Special Force units.

post-108940-0-14525900-1573228627_thumb.jpg

Well thats what I needed to see all this time. The pub has great info clearly, they have the newer silicone hoses that are longer and clearly the 3 pin bayonet hose fitting. The Army Aviation MS masks had the shorter cloth like O2 hose and the MC-3As. Those shorter hoses are awful.

I def agree about the CRU being more secure, those dumb nylon straps with the snaps are flimsy on the MC-3A. Saw a F-51D Mustang TO a while back that showed the proper way to attach that strap to the chest strap of the chute harness. Never knew there was a actual way to deal with that strap.