New USMC Uniform - Need a 73rd MG Company Photo

RobertE

Eric Queen

I don't think Wilcox made it into the group photo. The photo was taken on June 17, 1919 and it would seem that Wilcox was transferred to the 1st Replacement Depot (St.Aignan) on June 12

Wilcox 2.jpg

Eric Queen

Paul Spivey was also transferred to the 1st Replacement Depot but not until July 1 and he did make it in the photo. 

Here is a shot of Spivey's uniform

IMG_0758.JPG

Eric, thanks for checking that out for me.  If that's the date of the photo, he definitely missed it - bummer since he was with them the whole war.  What luck that a 73rd veteran could provide names to the photo!  

This unnamed blouse and cover went off Ebay in March and I missed it.  Really neat blouse I'd love to track down!

s/f Robert

73rd.jpg

• 3 years later...

There is currently a picture of some of the 73rd MG Co. members, to include Dan Daly, on eBay.  The quality of photos on the website isn't well, but you should be able to Google the item.  The following is the write up from the seller:

For your consideration is one of the greatest Marine Corps photos ever offered for sale. This original and historical WW1 era German made cabinet card photograph, measuring 8" x 6". The photo, which most likely dates to the Winter of 1918 or early 1919, shows members of the 73rd Company around Dan Daly.  All are identified in pencil around the photo margins.  Outside of his famous portrait where he is seen wearing his two Medals of Honor, this is the only other photo of him I have ever seen offered for sale.  This is not a mass-produced photo and was probably only made for Daly and the 14 members of the team.  It has a German photography studio stamp to the lower right:

Hermann Schrors

PHOTOGRAPH  

HONNINGEN A. R.W.

Daly is shown at center holding a football with "73rd Co, 6th Marines" written on it.  I surmise, perhaps he was the team's senior enlisted "sponsor" or even a coach.  He is wearing the stripes of a First Sergeant on his overcoat and unlike other photos where he displays a serious disposition, he displays a smirky smile.  Marines found all sorts of events to pass the time during the occupation of Germany and sports was probably #1 (next to drinking and cavorting).  It is interesting to note, one of the Marines behind Daly wears a captured German belt buckle with roundel.  One additional Marine photographed is a Distinguished Service Cross / Navy Cross awardee, Casey V. Loomis (Thiacourt).  Card shows rounded corners and some creases with light spotting to the image throughout.  A rare and historical photo for those that like collecting items of Marine personality figures.

Marines photographed are: 

Top: George K Willard, Ralph Barnett, Thomas P Nevin, Norman A Cobb, William R Potter, John E Trout, Elmer Thielen, and Raymond Powers

Middle: Royal Heckman (listed as Hedeman) (SS and WIA), James L Barker (listed as Barger), Dan Daly (MOH x2, DSC, NC, SS and WIA),   

Captain Kortright Church, Casey V Loomis (DSC, NC, SS)

Bottom:  Harry Henke and William S Harman (WIA)

s-l500-1.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 1.15.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.50.30.png