Uniforms & Equipment Display for Students

Dreamer42

I should have posted this a month ago, but I have been too busy. I have been collecting WWI through Vietnam since the 1980s. I thought it appropriate to display my collection on the 100th anniversary of the Armistice at the school where I teach. Honestly, like many here, I've been eagerly anticipating this anniversary. My latest addition to my collection was last weekend. I picked up and 1906 dated bayonet with scabbard last weekend. I'll post some "after" pictures when I'm done restoring it. The Uniform, Great Coat, garrison cap and personal effects bag all belonged to a T.C. Barbee. One of the mess kits belonged to I.S. Corsbie from the 82nd ID (trench art marked). Not pictured part of my collection is a canteen, cup and mess kit with knife, spoon and fork that belonged to 1st. Sgt. Harry E. Smith on the Engineers - all decorated. The cup has about 30+ places on it he was during the war. I also have his WWII M1 Helmet.

post-186510-0-89823300-1545192247_thumb.jpg

post-186510-0-07686500-1545192260_thumb.jpg

post-186510-0-81714800-1545192308_thumb.jpg

post-186510-0-40363500-1545192328_thumb.jpg

I am glad that SOMEONE is interested in teach about our military history. The following is an example of too much seen today.

This really happened:

Theodore " Dutch " J. Van Kirk was the navigator on the "Enola
Gay
" when it dropped the bomb at Hiroshima, Japan, and was the last surviving member of the crew. Passed away in 2014.

Dutch was asked to speak at a grammar school recently. The young teacher introduced him by saying the speaker was a veteran of World War Eleven
(as in WWII). Dutch stood up and walked out of the school without saying a word. End of story.

GOD HELP US

BILL THE PATCH

It's no surprise to me, to busy indoctrinating. I think history teachers are our best chance too keep kids patriotic

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I am glad that SOMEONE is interested in teach about our military history. The following is an example of too much seen today.

This really happened:

Theodore " Dutch " J. Van Kirk was the navigator on the "Enola

Gay" when it dropped the bomb at Hiroshima, Japan, and was the last surviving member of the crew. Passed away in 2014.

Dutch was asked to speak at a grammar school recently. The young teacher introduced him by saying the speaker was a veteran of World War Eleven

(as in WWII). Dutch stood up and walked out of the school without saying a word. End of story.

GOD HELP US

Got a source for this other than a FW: Fwd: RE: FW: FW: RE: Fwd: SEND THIS TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS LIBRUL TEACHERS THESE DAYS email?

Why wouldn't he take the opportunity to redress the alleged failings of today's education system?

I should have posted this a month ago, but I have been too busy. I have been collecting WWI through Vietnam since the 1980s. I thought it appropriate to display my collection on the 100th anniversary of the Armistice at the school where I teach. Honestly, like many here, I've been eagerly anticipating this anniversary. My latest addition to my collection was last weekend. I picked up and 1906 dated bayonet with scabbard last weekend. I'll post some "after" pictures when I'm done restoring it. The Uniform, Great Coat, garrison cap and personal effects bag all belonged to a T.C. Barbee. One of the mess kits belonged to I.S. Corsbie from the 82nd ID (trench art marked). Not pictured part of my collection is a canteen, cup and mess kit with knife, spoon and fork that belonged to 1st. Sgt. Harry E. Smith on the Engineers - all decorated. The cup has about 30+ places on it he was during the war. I also have his WWII M1 Helmet.

Hope the kids enjoyed the display. I have been doing WWI presentations for local schools for over 30 years. Usually the students are very interested. Of course, there is the occasional "could care less" bunch, but all in all it has been quite an honor for me to be able to show the kids a glimpse of what life was like for the troops. I do all armies involved, and highlight local veteran items when appropriate. Lately, the favorite items have been the rations/fake food displays I take in. The kids get to try on the helmets and toot the bugles, and they love to poke the food to see if it is real. MHJ

Dreamer42, thats a great display and collection! Kids, especially younger ones, will always be more interested in something if they see it in real life and can hold it with their own hands. A teacher can only do so much to make a lecture or a reading assignment in a book exciting. Keep up the good work!

https://www.army.mil/article/154208/a_brush_with_history_meeting_the_navigator_of_the_enola_gay_b_29

Not sure if the link will work. Copying and pasting sucks on the phone. He recalled students saying world war eleven at the least.

I wear a different uniform each day for about two weeks when we do wwii, and while I've never had a "world war eleven" moment, I've had kids that might not care enough to remember anything. On the other hand, in a nearly silent lesson (I asked them to be quiet for a serious atmosphere), I carried around my two KIA hearts, and I think 99.9% were pretty taken by it when I had them search what these men went through and modelled the kind of research I do to look up their units and etc. That was cool.