C130 Gunship Ordnance set

I have been trying to post pics and a member posted your resizing template. Put to use on my C130 gunship ordnance set I aquired when working down in SA back in 2008. The crew gave me all the casings for a job I did for them, took me a few years to fill them with the correct projectiles. A clipped 40mm L60 HEI set, a few 25mm PGU 25 linked cycling rounds, and an Air Force 105mm howitzer HE round with the correct PD fuze. The Air Force 105 HE howitzer rounds are different from the Army, the projo is crimped, pre-loaded, to the casing and marked as such. post-180924-0-14851000-1545168475_thumb.jpeg

I see the casings on the 40MM rounds are silver. What are they made of? Nice display.

Phospated steel. Background, the gunship uses the 1930's era 40mm Bofors round, L60, not the newer L70 which has a longer case.Their Bofors cannons are 1940's vintage, been lots of money spent keeping their Bofors up and running, also special contracts in millions to Lockheed I believe to keep producing the WW2 era L60 rounds. Older ( still sometimes used and reloaded) brass cases are still used, most brass casings reloaded. I believe the steel ones are not reloaded. Years of study still show nothing is as accurate as the 40mm L60 Bofors, not 20mm, 25mm, 30mm or even the latest L70 round.

Here are WW2 dated , clipped , crimped L60 Bofors rounds. AP, HE self destruct (2), and an HEI plugged.The Gunship does not use or need HEI self destruct, they were for Navy AA use so they would not hit nearby ships if they missed their target. post-180924-0-63494500-1545178896_thumb.jpeg