Collins # 14

kilgarvan

Hello all. I recently acquired a Collins #14 scabbard. Its minty and beautiful leather. I don't have the machete or bolo that would go with it.

I know nothing about these. Could somebody shed some light? I assume this is military. When were these made? I found one online source that said 1891.

Lastly, what is this worth? I don't have the machete so I will probably let this go. I know this isn't the forum for value, so, please PM me with this info.

Thanks.

Any help much appreciated. And, if anybody needs one for a machete, let me know! I'd be happy to talk about a trade of some sort..

I have found Collins machete scabbards are a little confusing. I have both a Collins 127, w/17" blade, and a 128 w/ 21" blade. Both scabbards have a "13" stamped on them, but both are of different lengths, scabbard style is the same. I have no clue! Maybe one of the machete collectors could fill us all in, "Tankerman" comes to mind. SKIP

Frank Trzaska

The number on the Collins machete sheath is a model number, a design if you will, of that sheath. They could be purchased in any length so you could get a No. 13 sheath for the little 9 3/4 inch machete (the V44 as we all incorrectly call it) up to a 27 inch machete. The 13 was just a holder not really a good sheath, it was inexpensive. The No. 14 was designed to fit about half of the grip in the sheath and hold the machete in the sheath tight, a better design. Note the 14 above has the flared throat to accept the grip. In any case Collins had a number of machete sheath designs that would be custom ordered with the machete to width and length.

Thanks guys. Mine is 22'' long and about 2'' wide.

What kind of machete would be used in my sheath? What kind of value does this have (I can repost this in the whats its worth, or, PM me please).

I don't have a machete for this, so, I'd trade it to somebody, or, might have to look for a correct machete for it.

Thanks