1918 British Made US musette bag

robinb

There has been a lot of discussion about that small loop inside of the Bag, Field, M1936 . I don't have the answer, but I can add fuel to the fire. I've had this British Made musette bag for many years. Maker marked Andersons Bristol Rubber and US broad arrow 1918. Made pretty much like the M1936 bag, including the small side pocket, and the "mystery loop" inside. Maybe the answer to the loop question goes back to some English design? The flashlights of the period, as far as I know, were rectangular, and too large to fit inside of the loop.

MVC_030S.JPG

MVC_031S.JPG

MVC_032S.JPG

craig_pickrall

By jove I've got it. The loop is for the bloody Brit Combat Umbrella MK IV.

Thanks for the photo Robin.

General Apathy

Steady Craig, I think you loosing it now, :lol::lol::lol:thumbsup.gif

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

Craig, I think I have worked it out using logic, the musette designed by the British was made for use in WWI in the trenches of France, so obviously the loop inside the musette is for the long thin stick of French bread with the cheese in the small side pocket and the two pockets inside the musette hold a choice of a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white wine. :rolleyes: By Jove I've solved it and so simple and can anyone argue with that. :lol:

Chin Chin Old chap, just off for a spot of tiffin on the veranda with memsaab, served by the punkawalla. ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy
Lewis.

Pip Pip Old Bean I think you have it thumbsup.gif

Leigh

Liegh, I have to say, ' if you can't beat them with science, then baffle them with poppycock '. crying.gif

TTFN, Old Chappie. thumbsup.gif

Cheers ( Lewis )

craig_pickrall

Ken, that all seems perfectly logical for British Officers but why would the pure of heart US Officers, that never let alcohol pass their lips, adopt the same design?

General Apathy
Ken, that all seems perfectly logical for British Officers but why would the pure of heart US Officers, that never let alcohol pass their lips, adopt the same design?

Hi Craig, in British military parlance ' you gets what your given nots what you'd like ' , take this and get on with it was the credo. :lol:

Cheers ( Ken )

p.s. Craig if you ever want to come over and buy the contents of my loft let me know. thumbsup.gif

craig_pickrall

Ken, I would love to have the contents of your loft. Just as soon as I hit the lottery I will let you know. It would be like Christmas going thru all those boxes.

I just pulled this picture off of another post on uniforms worn in the Pacific, I did not look to see who posted it, sorry, but isn't that a tent pole sticking out of the top of the M-36 pack? Of course if it is this still isn't the definitive answer, just because one guy did it it doesn't mean that is what it was intended for.

post-55-1229270393.jpg

I just pulled this picture off of another post on uniforms worn in the Pacific, I did not look to see who posted it, sorry, but isn't that a tent pole sticking out of the top of the M-36 pack? Of course if it is this still isn't the definitive answer, just because one guy did it it doesn't mean that is what it was intended for.

Good catch! Too bad the guy's hand obscures the edge of the bag worn by the guy to his front. It would be interesting if someone who has both a bag and tent pole could test to see if the pole actually fits inside the loop.

Mike

General Apathy

post-55-1229270393.jpg

Hi QED4, thanks for posting this photograph, strange isn't that once you know what your looking for it's easier to spot. O.K. let's not go wild and claim it's the definitive answer might upset a few people with THAT claim. pinch.gif

It might just be that this particular soldier happens to be carrying the camp fire wood with him i.e. three sticks of round dowl with brass ferrules and brass folding hinges.

However if you check out these guys virtually everything that they are carrying is identical, so there appears to be some regulation going on there, it looks a pretty early shot i.e. blue denim bags and 1917A1 helmets, they hadn't become rag, tag, and bobtail yet in their carrying of equipment.

On the flip side I am really pleased that you found this, I could send either my sister, my daughter, my future wife

( might be a wait on that one I have to find her myself yet ), to give you a kiss. :lol:

Or damn it I could could just come over and do it myself. crying.gif

Love it, great photo even without the three sticks of firewood, I left the photo in for a second time in case anyone missed it on your post. :unsure:

Cheers ( Lewis )

p.s. might forgo coming over to give you a kiss and just enter you into my will ;)

General Apathy
Good catch! Too bad the guy's hand obscures the edge of the bag worn by the guy to his front. It would be interesting if someone who has both a bag and tent pole could test to see if the pole actually fits inside the loop.

Mike

Hi Mike, hope this helps, it will work, because you are not putting the three sections into the loop, you pass the top section completely through and just leave the centre section in the loop, then the top and bottom section fold on the outside of the loop. So if the top flap is a little loose and there is movement either way then the folding hinge will meet up with the loop and prevent it sliding out.

I have used this procedure ( which I had picked up on from official paperwork, and apologise I don't have it to hand ) when we have done living history displays involving early war pre 42

In the photograph it can be seen that the raincoat is being carried in the prescribed position simply folded and placed under the flap and straps.

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

Hi robinb, I must apologize that I have so far not given any thanks for posting the original photographs of this British made U.S. musette, so many thanks, remiss of me.

Thanks also to all the other posters whether we have chosen to agree or disagreed on the reason for the loop inside the musette on this and on a previous post by ' summerdogs ' when they posted a musette with photo.

It is only through reasonable debate and maybe extensive research that any answers can be reached, thank you.

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy
Ken, I would love to have the contents of your loft. Just as soon as I hit the lottery I will let you know. It would be like Christmas going thru all those boxes.

Hi Craig, it amused me that you would need to win the lottery first, would it be of any help if i bought you a few more lottery tickets each week. :lol: ( now does that sound like a tad of desperation on my behalf ) :blink:

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

post-55-1229270393.jpg

Hi QED4, and other members, well spotted on the poles, just another little thing has come to me on studying the photographs, which tends to be a passion for me. As a further sign of some regulation of equipment and dress going on in this early photograph, then take a look at this first guy, just above his first aid pouch is a lift dot I began to wonder what it was all the way up there.

So looking forward at the guy in front just on the left side is the flap of a cartridge belt, so back to our first guy, his cartridge belt is obscured by a webbing band. This is the waist band of the left side pre-war M-1 under the arm gas mask bag. If you look to the left of his musette you can see the ribbed filter area of the bag between his left elbow and the musette.

These guys appear to be carrying practically everything that they had been issued with, I would love to see any other photographs taken at the time of these guy's transferring elsewhere, did you happen to see any others QED4.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Craig, I think I have worked it out using logic, the musette designed by the British was made for use in WWI in the trenches of France, so obviously the loop inside the musette is for the long thin stick of French bread with the cheese in the small side pocket and the two pockets inside the musette hold a choice of a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white wine. :rolleyes: By Jove I've solved it and so simple and can anyone argue with that. :lol:

Chin Chin Old chap, just off for a spot of tiffin on the veranda with memsaab, served by the punkawalla. ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

Me thinks you've been testing the wine already. But great pictures guys. Just cause the poles didn't fit properly doesn't mean the Army didn't use it anyway. Just look how many years they used that worthless piece of crap called an 1910/1928 Havorsack. Robert

craig_pickrall

I think that photo is from the LIFE Magazine section on Google. If you can go back to the thread it first appeared on and ask that poster where he found it then maybe we can find other associated photos at the same reference that futher developes the story.

If these troops are carrying musette bags and aren't officers then they must be mounted troops (mechanized). If their vehicles are aboard ship and they are going to spend time on the ground either after they were loaded or before they are unloaded that could account for them carrying all that gear. That would normally be carried on their vehicles.

Ken if you need a place to store your boxes and maybe get, say $5 a week, I'm your man. I might even be able to go $10 some weeks. If you need more then we have to wait on the lottery. What are you looking at, high 6 figures or low 7 figures?

The picture was posted today by Forum Support in the Uniforms section under the heading WWII Pacific Theater. He says it is the first US troops arriving in Australia but dose not say where it came from.

General Apathy
Ken if you need a place to store your boxes and maybe get, say $5 a week, I'm your man. I might even be able to go $10 some weeks. If you need more then we have to wait on the lottery. What are you looking at, high 6 figures or low 7 figures?

Hi Craig, jeez, I have no idea on value, could well be more than $10 a week though, that Virgin space shot is beginning to have some appeal as this world certainly seems to be going crazy. crying.gif

Think I should have gone into stocks and shares advice like the guy they are just talking about today on the news, supposedly trousered some fifty billion or something like that. w00t.gifpinch.gif:blink::lol:

Cheers ( Lewis )

craig_pickrall

50 billion could sure purchase a nice military collection with enough left over to see you through these tough economic times.