How do you display identified uniform information?

Hey everyone,

So being back from school got me doing more research on my identified uniforms in the collection. Organizing everything, I began thinking about finding some way to display the information for each uniform on or near the uniform itself as a sort of easy identification system.

I came up with this little paper slip card as my first prototype and would like opinions as to either how I could make it better or some entirely different ideas for displaying the info. Space is tight at the moment so I tried to make something simple and not too flashy.

-Alex

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

GEN. David R. Atchinson- MO State Guard              ACW

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

PVT. Henry E. Thomas- Co. I, 17th Ky IR                  ACW

PVT. Joseph E. Drury- Co. E, 356th IR, 89th ID       WWI                WIA

SGT. Edward P. Drury- 51st QM Training Co.           WWII

PFC. Delmer C. Koonter- Co. I, 142nd IR, 36th ID    WWII              WIA

SC3c Michael C. Drury- LCS (L) (3) 70                     WWII

SGT. Steven D. Koonter- 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div         Vietnam

SGT. John M. Drury- 227th AVN Bn. 1st Cav Div     Vietnam

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

Great idea. I am in the process of creating a PowerPoint Presentation of all of my uniforms. The intent is to have a brief history of each unit on a page and a page with the uniform pictured and to whom it belonged to and a description of the uniform. My plan is to have a binder with the presentation printed in it so that you can pick it up and thumb through it. Upon seeing your example I will probably add a little more to the soldier's biography.

I have over 60 uniforms so it is quite the project. Been working on it off and on now for a few months.

Attached is one example below:

post-147204-0-33092100-1545112047_thumb.jpg

post-147204-0-34095900-1545112068_thumb.jpg

Good job with displaying some info with your named uniforms. What you're doing isn't too different from what I'm doing aside from you having more pictures of the vets themselves. Sadly I only have two pictures with the vet wearing the uniform so to help compensate I looked up as much info as I could about each vet from when they enlisted through boot camp and through each unit they were a part of until I either lost track of them in the system or they left the military. Then I put those into packets that I can display in front of each uniform and thumb through them for info as the need arises. I also found pictures of some of their headstones to finish up the packets they belonged with.

Collector and preserver of "old war stuff"; son and grandson of veterans
Father: 1st Marine Division, Echo 2/7 1966-1968
Grandfather: USCG 1941-1946, USAF 1950-1966

Always on the hunt for marine corps items from E/2/7 from WW2, Korea, and Vietnam

Also looking for items related to the 330th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Infantry Division from D-Day through to the end of 1944 and items related the Battle of Brest

I have mine in a binder, there is a sheet on top that has his unit, name, birth and death, serial number and then his records are under it. I am looking for a way to display with the uniform though.

Looking for WWII Americal Division and 147th Infantry Regiment Uniforms and anything relating to the Army on Guadalcanal.

donation2018.gifimage.png.eeda3e0d45132eb99f4dd8b07fd60103.pngdonation2020.gif

Really like seeing all these comments! I am glad others like the idea. I also like the binder concept and will probably put one together as well but include all documents fully printed out so as to organize physical copies of everything. I am liking my slips at the moment and might start printing them on some card stock and possibly laminating them.

GEN. David R. Atchinson- MO State Guard              ACW

PVT. John H. Drury- Co. A, 27th Ky IR                      ACW               Died of Typhoid

PVT. Henry E. Thomas- Co. I, 17th Ky IR                  ACW

PVT. Joseph E. Drury- Co. E, 356th IR, 89th ID       WWI                WIA

SGT. Edward P. Drury- 51st QM Training Co.           WWII

PFC. Delmer C. Koonter- Co. I, 142nd IR, 36th ID    WWII              WIA

SC3c Michael C. Drury- LCS (L) (3) 70                     WWII

SGT. Steven D. Koonter- 5th Cav, 1st Cav Div         Vietnam

SGT. John M. Drury- 227th AVN Bn. 1st Cav Div     Vietnam

Contact me with items from the 36th Infantry Division or any IDd uniforms of European Theater Infantry Divisions

When I had some of my WW1 uniforms set up, I used the 8 1/2 x 10 upright hard plastic sheet stands to display the biographies of the veterans.

office_483.JPG

office_482.JPG

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif