NCO marked lid, possible ranger?

Gtilk8455

I picked up this lid about a year ago. Its a McCord fixed bail with an NCO leadership bar painted on back. The soliders name is also stamped on both the back of the NCO bar and the back of the liner. The name is very hard to make out on the shell but is fairly clear on liner. The name appears to be VAN OOSTEROM. The shell also seems to have the remains of a taped V over the back of the lid, starting right at the top of the NCO bar. I know the rangers at Anzio used the V to mark their helmets, but I dont think Ive ever seen a picture of a ranger at Anzio with a leadership stripe. Lastly the liner is marked on the front lip and rivets with red paint with a crudely scratched out sergeant or staff sergeant insignia. Id love to know what you guys think, and any information on that name would be greatly appreciated.

-Graham

post-153527-0-14788200-1545107555_thumb.jpeg

post-153527-0-48170100-1545107569_thumb.jpeg

post-153527-0-31598900-1545107587_thumb.jpeg

post-153527-0-52197100-1545107608_thumb.jpeg

post-153527-0-11848700-1545107618_thumb.jpeg

I did find a Sergeant John T. Oosterom who served with Company B, 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion. Haven't found a "Van Oosterom" in the Army, However, I did find one (John George Van Oosterom) in the Navy who served as a Fire Controlman aboard the USS New Mexico.

This one looks familiar, has it been discussed here before? No matches in the Ranger rosters: http://www.rangerroster.org/SearchPage.asp

It may of been discussed here before. If I remember correctly I picked it up off eBay about a year ago but wasn't able to have it in hand for a while as i was in college out of state. Im pretty sure I got it from another member but I cant remember which one at the moment.

I did find a Sergeant John T. Oosterom who served with Company B, 704th Tank Destroyer Battalion. Haven't found a "Van Oosterom" in the Army, However, I did find one (John George Van Oosterom) in the Navy who served as a Fire Controlman aboard the USS New Mexico.

Very interesting, thanks for the info

Burning Hazard

I'm liking this helmet, no way to tell if it's Ranger without proper ID. Don't know why but the red on the liner makes me think armored.

Pat