APH-5 twins came home

phantomfixer

Picked these up over the weekend...from the same owner, wife said her husband was in the CAP...and that is all she knew...

1968 dated...

looks like someone started to tape the visor cover for a checkerboard paint job, but stopped...

post-155518-0-14537800-1545054986_thumb.jpg

Interesting for 68s they have the old style lock knobs. The helmets Gentex or Sierra made? Seeing the nape style pad on the chin strap would make me think Gentex as my father 68 Sierra from flight school had the nice fat padded chin pad. I kind of think someone toyed with those with the parts aside from the lock knobs, I see the one on the right has the chin strap installed wrong, later helmets it should be on the inside. Earlier APH-5s did have them externally mounted and a little higher. You going to leave them both as is and flip them or try to fix them up a bit? I have 2 APH-5s myself. My fathers 1968 dated OD Sierra, and then a 1966 dated Gentex white shell which was OV-1 used and has the black Sierra self adjust bayonet receivers. You might have seen it in a previous post from me, has the Grumman factory Mohawk Indian decal on the back of the shell. Dont have a history on it but was either a Grumman Tech Reps or someone who flew SLAR missions in a OV-1B as they were the only Hawks to fly higher alts and install mask retention assemblies. VR in OV-1As and IR in OV-1Cs were flown at lower alts. Later D models flew all the missions so it was standard to have O2 setups on the SPH-4 and HGU-26 and 55s.

MohawkALSE,

I thought the thick pads were an AFH-5 item.Maybe your Dad switched to one of these for comfort.

phantomfixer,

I make a decent repo of the thin chin and nape pads.Also have hardware and ear cushions(NOS and nice used ones) if yours are dried out.PM me if you need anything.

Bob

No doubt the one on the left was played with...the boom mic was switched to the right side, I did put that back on the left...and the masking tape for a paint job...thanks for pointing out the chin strap...I will swap that around...but other than that, will leave alone

Made by Gentex...

and as of yet, no plans to flip them,

both are missing the size pads

Bob thanks for help on parts...ear cushions are not brittle but not mint either...will leave them alone for now

J

post-155518-0-80312000-1545138801.jpg

MohawkALSE,

I thought the thick pads were an AFH-5 item.Maybe your Dad switched to one of these for comfort.

phantomfixer,

I make a decent repo of the thin chin and nape pads.Also have hardware and ear cushions(NOS and nice used ones) if yours are dried out.PM me if you need anything.

Bob

The fat cushioned chin pads were a APH-5 thing. My fathers Sierra APH from flight school had one. It seems the later 60s helmets had those vs the nape style pad like Ive seen on some older Gentex ones. I have seen the thick pad on older MSA pea green helmets so maybe it was a life support change out at times when the factory pads weren't available or maybe the Gentex helmets used the thinner ones? When my father got a SPH-4 in Vietnam, he actually took the thick chin pad from his APH and used it on that.