Jeep hoods in Germany

phantomfixer

You guys beat me to this one.

There are probably a lot of parts and pieces still hidden away in Europe.

This is an exhibit at the National Museum of the USAF.

BB 1.jpg

BB 2.jpg

Tail section was down the road from my house in Metterich when I was stationed at Bitburg. Saw it a couple of times before Spang picked it up

Tail section was down the road from my house in Metterich when I was stationed at Bitburg. Saw it a couple of times before Spang picked it up

When you say "down the road", do you mean while it was still part of a farmer's shed? That must have been an odd thing to see.

Aside from some Nazi period architecture and some blown bunkers, about the only other real remnant of the war that I saw was a couple fields of dragon's teeth anti-tank obstacles.

When you say "down the road", do you mean while it was still part of a farmer's shed? That must have been an odd thing to see.

Aside from some Nazi period architecture and some blown bunkers, about the only other real remnant of the war that I saw was a couple fields of dragon's teeth anti-tank obstacles.

Still part of the shed. Spent a considerable amount of time metal detecting. Found what was left of B-17G AAF S/N42-31423-M outside of Mallberg. Crew bailed before the crash. Found the tail gunner, got a interview and sent him a piece of the aircraft.

Still part of the shed. Spent a considerable amount of time metal detecting. Found what was left of B-17G AAF S/N42-31423-M outside of Mallberg. Crew bailed before the crash. Found the tail gunner, got a interview and sent him a piece of the aircraft.

I wish I had done more of that. On the recommendation of a friend, I went to a wooded hilltop not even 10 mile from the sub-kaserne where I was living. In the ground you could see the depressions from some manner of gun position, along with two others for supporting infantry. Under the leaves were empty artillery round cases, all rusted to the point that they would disintegrate if you picked them up. Off to the side was the stripped frame of an unidentified motorcycle. In the silent woods, it just left you with the question, "What happened here?"

Final bid: approx. $2,276.

How long before we see every third restored jeep with a mustard yellow background beneath its hood star?