WWII Letters from TED DOBOL , 1st DIVISION LEGEND

KASTAUFFER

I frequently buy WWII letter lots from stamp dealers sight unseen hoping to find some good ones. Today I hit BINGO .

In a large pile of WWII enveloples was a small group of letters from one of the legends of the Big Red One, Command Sgt Major Theodore L. Dobol .

There is much written about him in books and online. I wouldnt be surprised if he was the inspiration for the Lee Marvin character in the movie " The Big Red One ".

Polish born CSM Dobol served with the 26th Infantry, 1st Division throughout WWII and beyond. He became the Sgt Major of the 26th Infantry and later the Command Sgt Major of the 1st Infantry Division. During WWII he earned the Silver Star with 3 OLC, and the Purple Heart with 4 OLC's . He later instructed at West Point and served in Vietnam.

His letters are very interesting due to the fact they were written from 1 soldier to another who was his cousin. Much more interesting than the typical letters to Mom that just say " Im OK ".

I have 13 letters from CSM Dobol that span 1942- 1944 , but I feel these 3 really represent the man. In 4 of his letters he talks about being wounded. He was wounded in North Africa , Sicily , Normandy, and Belgium .

Here is a letter he wrote from North Africa:

DOBOL_1_A.jpg

DOBOL_1_b.jpg

This second letter was written from the hospital after he had been wounded during the actions in Sicily . He definately shows a dislike for the Germans . In this letter he states " Right now I am slightly Week ( SP) But only for a while and Im going right back to my men where I left them, Its tough but I cant help it. Spirit and Moral of mine is fine and I love to kill them bastards any time I get a chance and I done many times " .

His quote also shows his devotion to his men as well.

DOBOL_2_a.jpg

DOBOL_2_b.jpg

Here is the 3rd Letter. CSM Dobol wrote this from a hospital shortly after he had been wounded during the Normandy campaign. The censor had some fun with this one .

What I found interesting is his statement about the landings at D-Day vs. the landings at Sicily. Quote :

" And so the rest of us veterans from Africa and Sicily personally speaking I had worse time land in Sicily than here and dont bother to much I'm use to such reckless life and combat"

Here's to you CSM Dobol salute.gif . Ted Dobal passed away in 1996 .

DOBOL_3_a.jpg

DOBOL_3_b.jpg

Here is the 3rd Letter. CSM Dobol wrote this from a hospital shortly after he had been wounded during the Normandy campaign. The censor had some fun with this one .

What I found interesting is his statement about the landings at D-Day vs. the landings at Sicily. Quote :

" And so the rest of us veterans from Africa and Sicily personally speaking I had worse time land in Sicily than here and dont bother to much I'm use to such reckless life and combat"

Here's to you CSM Dobol salute.gif . Ted Dobal passed away in 1996 .

Nice find, Kurt! CSM Dobol was a legend not only in 1ID but throughout the US Army. Interestingly, the incident in Normandy in which he was wounded (and downplays in the above letter) was one where he was nominated for the MOH .

http://books.google.com/books?id=6kMJEHAgF...t#PRA1-PA259,M1

Nice find, Kurt! CSM Dobol was a legend not only in 1ID but throughout the US Army. Interestingly, the incident in Normandy in which he was wounded (and downplays in the above letter) was one where he was nominated for the MOH .

http://books.google.com/books?id=6kMJEHAgF...t#PRA1-PA259,M1

Thanks Dwight! Makes you wonder how it got downgraded from a MOH to a Silver Star. He did get one for that action.

Kurt

• 2 years later...

what a find Kurt!

For sure, it's rare pieces! great idea to go back them to the top :thumbsup:

About wwII letters, have the same technic than you, i buy them to stamps seller or collectors, for few dollars. Sometime, i found interesting letters in envelopes, others times it's empty, but not disappointed because i'm too a stamp collector. So isn't lot money :)

hope your still found interesting and rares items or groupings in 2011

Thierry

• 3 years later...

Theodore L. Dobol
Home of record: Newark New Jersey

AWARDS AND CITATIONS

Silver Star
See more recipients of this award

Awarded for actions during the World War II

(Citation Needed) - SYNOPSIS: Staff Sergeant Theodore L. Dobol (ASN: 6908017), United States Army, was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action in connection with combat operations against the enemy while serving with Company K, 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations during World War II.
General Orders: Headquarters, 1st Infantry Division, General Orders No. 34 (1943)

Action Date: World War II

Service: Army

Company: Company K

Regiment: 26th Infantry Regiment

Division: 1st Infantry Division .
Silver Star

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster in lieu of a Second Award of the Silver Star to Staff Sergeant Theodore L. Dobol (ASN: 6908017), United States Army, for gallantry in action in connection while serving with Company K, 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations in 1943. When his platoon leader was wounded during a savage attack on an enemy hill, Sergeant Dobol immediately assumed command and continued the advance. His prompt decisions and inspiring leadership were largely responsible for maintaining the momentum of the attack and the successful accomplishment of his company's mission.
General Orders: Headquarters, 1st Infantry Division, General Orders No. 43 (September 1, 1943)

Action Date: 1943

Silver Star

(Citation Needed) - SYNOPSIS: Staff Sergeant Theodore L. Dobol (ASN: 6908017), United States Army, was awarded a Second Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster in lieu of a Third Award of the Silver Star for gallantry in action in connection with combat operations against the enemy while serving with Company K, 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division during World War II.
General Orders: Headquarters, 1st Infantry Division, General Orders No. 156 (1945)

Action Date: World War II

Silver Star

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting a Third Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster in lieu of a Fourth Award of the Silver Star to First Sergeant [then Technical Sergeant] Theodore L. Dobol (ASN: 6908017), United States Army, for gallantry in action as a member of Company K, 26th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division, on 9 June 1944, at St. Anne, France, where his regiment was engaged in holding its initial beachhead objective. During the night, he was given the mission of contacting the British 56th Brigade at a pre-arranged point. After proceeding several hundred yards, Sergeant Dobol and his small patrol ran into the flank of an enemy counterattacking force. He and his patrol took this superior force under fire and disrupted their attack. Attempting to return to his command post, he was jumped by two Germans. In the ensuing fight, he killed both of the enemy and succeeded in reaching his commanding officer with information which proved valuable in repulsing the attack. First Sergeant Dobol's actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the armed services.
General Orders: Department of the Army, General Orders No. 25 (December 11, 1947)

Action Date: June 9, 1944

Division: 1st Infantry Division