Anyone able to stamp original dog tag blank in 1930s style?

stratasfan

I got a blank m1924 dog tag, and was wondering if anyone knows if there is someone/where I could have it stamped in the 1930s style?

Thanks!

In previous years of flea markets, estate sales, military shows, and antique shows, I've only come across a few of these - they are tough to find considering that the U.S. Army was down to about 130k personnel during the interwar period. Since this blank came with a stamped one (cited in your other thread), I'd be inclined to keep these together and not stamp the blank, but, ultimately, that's your call as the owner.

I would think that one could make a decent representative tag with a little cutting, filing, and drilling. As for stamping, I think these were made with the WWI-era stamping kits by marking the tags by hand. Since there really aren't too many reenacting groups around that portray the interwar period, there isn't much of a demand for reproduction tags or marking; however, some of the folks that do repro WWI tags may be able to help with the markings.

Oh, dear . . . now I think I am going to have to look at finding myself a WWI-era stamping kit! That is such an amazing idea!

As to the blank. I don't know if it came with it or not. I got both items (as well as a bunch of other things) from a flea market booth where two guys just deal in military stuff. The blank was in one bin of pins and the stamped one in another. I'd never seen this style dog tag (guessing between wars) so thought it worth the gamble on buying. Got a stack of 7 or 8 Vietnam-era Army tag blanks, too. The blanks are super cool, as I'd love to try getting them stamped! Can you use a WWI-era stamp kit on the Vietnam-era tags, do you think?

So . . . what would the value or the m1924 tag be, do you think? I've never really gotten into dog tags (other than getting repro or commemorative tags made for my enjoyment), and this is only the third tag I've owned!

Long story short, and the point crotalus is trying to convey is-the M1924 tag is a lot harder to find than a Vietnam era blank and should be left alone and not stamped.

Robert

Long story short, and the point crotalus is trying to convey is-the M1924 tag is a lot harder to find than a Vietnam era blank and should be left alone and not stamped.

Robert

Hi! Thanks to all for their opinions! One question for you (and Crotalus) . . . why leave it blank? What does it do for the piece and how much would the blank be worth, if left untouched?

(Well, I guess that is a couple questions! -grin- )

Monetary value doesn't always commensurate with rarity, as we've seen plenty of times on this forum. Although examples of these tags are rare, they do not have the draw that WWI or WWII examples do. The single blank MAY bring $10-20, and that's a guess, since you won't find many examples for sale/sold. To a tag collector looking to fill a hole in his/her collection, maybe a little more? Again, rarity doesn't always equate to valuable.

Oh, totally understand about supply v. demand! Interesting about them being not as desirable as WWI or WWII ones. You'd think that between war ones would be more interesting to collectors, as there wouldn't be as many! Ah, well . . . I'll be thinking about the blank and consider the options! -grin-